Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My strut is broken and stuck between the chassis. What can i do to remove it? The top is fine and i can take the screws out but it will not come out because the bottom is wedged in. Help. Tryed hammer but did not move. Will try another hammer tomorrow. Any suggestions? I already have the replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
My strut is broken and stuck between the chassis. What can i do to remove it? The top is fine and i can take the screws out but it will not come out because the bottom is wedged in. Help. Tryed hammer but did not move. Will try another hammer tomorrow. Any suggestions? I already have the replacement.
Can you get a pry bar under the bottom and pry it up vs. banging it out? Should compress enough to clear the bracket if that's the issue.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is too much pressure pressing down. Tried to get a pry bar under but it barely goes in.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
Can you jack that wheel up so the truck is compressing it. If you had a safety strap or chain you could then secure the strut in a compressed state and put that wheel back down. Is there enough strut exposed on the bottom to put a bolt back thru the bottom mount and jack up on it?
Get a loaner spring compressor from your local parts store.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Dam, well i cant really do that since its jammed in. Do you think i can use a specific spring compressor while its still attached, then removed the spring while its compressed and decompress once its out?

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
If you jack up that side of the truck and let the suspension swing free you might be able to cut it just above that bracket and let the weight pull the cut apart so the blade doesn't jam. Some spring compressor will work, but as you can see, clearance can be an issue. If you have a strap or
come -along you could set the truck down on a pipe or steel bar, tire to tire and secure the lower a-arm to that (effectively tying it to the ground and then jack the truck up with the jack under the most forward part of the frame on that side without lifting the truck off the ground. Make any sense?
Do you have a torch?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Made sense till you started talking about the strap. Please if you would, explain a bit more thoroughly. Sorry for the inconvience.

·
Registered
1995 T100 2WD
3,050 Posts
Made sense till you started talking about the strap. Please if you would, explain a bit more thoroughly. Sorry for the inconvience.
Basically secure the suspension to a solid surface under the truck ( i mentioned the pipe under the front tires to create the place to tie the suspension too) Even tying it down with a rope or cargo strap should be enough.
Leave the truck on the ground and jack it up until the strut pops out of the bracket.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts