Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 85 camry has a broken wheel stud ,(it's broken off in the hole). It happened apparently while the wheel lugs were being loosened at the brake shop. Can anybody tell me the process for fixing it?

·
Not so Noob now!
571 Posts
Take it back to the brake shop and have them replace it. They broke it. Tell them you'll pay for the stud. Shouldn't be more than $5-$10.

Last time I had a stud break, I took it to one of the local tire shops and since I buy my tires there, they replaced it for free.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I agree but easier said than done. First of all they didn't tell me about it and tried to hide it with the wheel cover. I know this because I'm missing one wheel cover and it was definitely on the other side of my car when I brought it in. Any way, after I found the broken stud about half an hour after I left the shop(I knew something was wrong because my car had a vibration driving home that it never had before), I called the district manager of the chain to tell him. By the way this is one of a series of bloopers I encountered at this shop so I was pretty mad and not about to call up the jerks at the shop that just worked on it because I know they'll just play stupid.
After i explained everything that happened to the manager but he gave me a hard time, I had to argue with him on the phone. He suggested maybe my car was like that before I brought it in and other crap. Then he told me he'd call up the guys at the shop. I called him back after 1 hour and he said he didn't get a chance to call yet cause he's so busy. Then told me he'd call me back and never did.
So now they just basically left me hanging.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,370 Posts
^ keep calling.....

unless you can weld, you'll have to drill it out, and that won't be fun....

they had obviously broken it.
"had" it been broken before, they should have came out and told you while performing their work

·
Grenaded piston
7,447 Posts
Is there enough of the stud left to were its still sticking out past the hub? If so pound it out with a hammer.

If not, then use a punch/drift and a hammer.

To install the new stud you can use a lugnut (it'll get f**ked up so use one you don't care about), some washers, and a impact wrench.

My buddy and I used this method to replace the wheel studs on his Camaro. Had to change to longer wheel studs for a big brake kit. :)

·
Registered
750 Posts
First of all, if the stud breaks while they are trying to remove the wheel, it's not really their fault. Shit happens. They should have either told you or replaced it and added it to the bill.

If you go buy a new stud, you will see what 88 is talking about. Studs get knocked out, you only have to weld or drill if it is bolt.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.