Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to lift my 04 Sequoia 2WD. I would like to stay within $500-$700. I need new shocks all the way around and will be putting new upper and lower ball joints so I figured why not lift it while I’m at it. Any suggestions on lift combos to achieve 2.5 inches up front and 2 inches in the rear?

·
Registered
2019 Sequoia TRD
27 Posts
Generally the purpose for lifting a vehicle is to get clearance for larger tires for off road ability. Larger tires raise the distance between the ground and the underneath of the truck allowing you to clear rocks and other obstacles on the trail. Since you're vehicle is 2WD I'm not sure I understand the expense of raising it which will also negatively affect handling, aerodynamics, and a host of other things. It will make the truck look better though. And I will say that I used to four wheel with a guy who drove 2 wheel drive Ford pickups and he went just about everywhere we did with 4WD albeit at a more "smash through it" pace rather than crawling as we did. He eventually graduated to a 4WD Bronco and was amazed at how gently he could attack obstacles. Sorry to get off topic, I would just Google Sequoia lift kit.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia
61 Posts
The cheapest way to lift a vehicle is using lift spacers. You can find them on ebay for very cheap. Just remember to buy a rear shocks that will accommodate your lift so you wont over extend your shocks. Visit https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/#/ it has variety of lift kits for 1st gen sequoia.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cheapest way to lift a vehicle is using lift spacers. You can find them on ebay for very cheap. Just remember to buy a rear shocks that will accommodate your lift so you wont over extend your shocks. Visit https://www.1stgenoffroad.com/#/ it has variety of lift kits for 1st gen sequoia.
I was told that running spacers vs lift struts will affect my ride quality drastically. I don’t mind spacers but don’t want to feel like I’m driving sitting on the frame. A guy who deals a lot with sequoias told me that the rancho lift struts are not a bad option. What do you think?

·
6,618 Posts
1. cheapest and most suitable, as you have truck frame, is renting a lift. Can't beat that. Call around. Bay is like $40 an hr well spent.
2. if you were to think about buying one, you are very limited by having body on frame vehicle. So scissor lifts will not work for you. Also, for the weight of your car, 700 bucks is unrealistic. You need a 2 post of proper rating to be simply safe under all that weight. That WILL cost you pretty penny, unless you find used one (safety?)
3. shoot, I forgot the name of it. There is roll away 2 post lift that is likely best for small garages and DIY types. You install bolt anchors into the garage floor - has to have 6 inch concrete - and then install posts onto them. When done, roll posts away. Extra time to do that, but is very handy as you do not have posts permanently blocking garage. Problem with that lift is it lifts only to 40 something inches. 42 or 45 I believe.
I have 7000lb scissor lift, I sorta know what is good and what is not. I'd have to buy $500 adapters to be able to lift a frame truck or vehicle. But it is VERY handy to have lift. If I ever buy another lift, it will be 2 post only.

·
6,618 Posts
There you go

With your Sequoia being 5730 to 6000 lb curb weight, it is not going cut it for you. You need about 2000 lb safety overlap.

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia
61 Posts
Thats the weird part. Some says rides like stock and some says rides like tank. Me personally I used 1 inch coil spacers with emu 2862 coils paired with emu 60020L shocks. The ride before and after adding the spacers stay the same. I used bilstein 5100 with stock coils for my front lift and it rides great. As for the rancho quick lift it look good I like the fact that you can manually adjust the ride quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats the weird part. Some says rides like stock and some says rides like tank. Me personally I used 1 inch coil spacers with emu 2862 coils paired with emu 60020L shocks. The ride before and after adding the spacers stay the same. I used bilstein 5100 with stock coils for my front lift and it rides great. As for the rancho quick lift it look good I like the fact that you can manually adjust the ride quality.
So far In my cart is Bilsein struts for front lift, 2 inch block for rear along with ARB OME 60071L shocks for the rear. I will also be replacing upper and lower ball joints with Beck/Arnley ones. Do you think this sounds good?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There you go

With your Sequoia being 5730 to 6000 lb curb weight, it is not going cut it for you. You need about 2000 lb safety overlap.
Thank you for the information but I was referring to a suspension lift not a work lift. Thank you though

·
Registered
2002 Toyota Sequoia
61 Posts
So far In my cart is Bilsein struts for front lift, 2 inch block for rear along with ARB OME 60071L shocks for the rear. I will also be replacing upper and lower ball joints with Beck/Arnley ones. Do you think this sounds good?
Looks good except your ball joints. I would not go with any aftermarket ball joint. OEM is the way to go. Your safety depend on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks good except your ball joints. I would not go with any aftermarket ball joint. OEM is the way to go. Your safety depend on it.
Thanks you! I was told by a couple of Toyota owners that those ball joints were as close to oem as you can get for the price point. Apparently Beck/Arnley are known for BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus and any other high end vehicles suspension parts. One tundra guy told me he got 190k out of these ball joints with his lift kit and said he could have not replaced the yet but did anyway. I can’t afford the OEM lower ball joints @ $160 a piece, where as these are $160 for upper and lower and have good reputation. But it does make me nervous using anything other than OEM especially on previous fords I have owned.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you! I was told by a couple of Toyota owners that those ball joints were as close to oem as you can get for the price point. Apparently Beck/Arnley are known for BMW, Mercedes, Toyota, Lexus and any other high end vehicles suspension parts. One tundra guy told me he got 190k out of these ball joints with his lift kit and said he could have not replaced the yet but did anyway. I can’t afford the OEM lower ball joints @ $160 a piece, where as these are $160 for upper and lower and have good reputation. But it does make me nervous using anything other than OEM especially on previous fords I have owned.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts