Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey!

I want to build an 88 All Trac...

I was wondering if any of you dudes knew if a T66 will bolt on straight up like it does on the MR-2. I also want to know if the JDM 3SGTE from an MR-2 will drop in and be all good or not.

Any tricks or tips? Front mounts, suspension recommendations or other performance parts? I really want to get this going and need some bonified advice.

Please E-Mail me at [email protected] or reply here.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you're saying that it's not worth doing... or that it's a cake walk? I've been searching through the larger sites and haven't found anything really good for this gen All Trac. I was starting to think that I would have to get a new car to tune...

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
A 91-93 Alltrac would be a better choice, its a bit more recent model, more power, more aftermarket support, more fun.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah, I would love to get one of those, but they're also more money, and harder to find. I also want this to have fun off-roading/rallying... the 90-93's are way too nice to be messing around in everyday or so. I ruined my last car, a 92 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX that way. :(

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
Gumball3000: dont do it. i was once like you and as trying to make a all-trac outa a GTS. but then i found it would not work at all.. what will make it harder is that if you do the build and go rallying you will for sure hurt yourself.. the #1 factor that some is to play is that the frame will bend and so will cause other problems. the bending of the frame was cause by normal road use so think what a weekend of rallying would do?

Oh, and just in cuase your wondering im getting this information form someone show has done alot of 3sgte swaps and been around toyota for some time now... if you need more info so see what im thinking about (not pictures but the post i maked when i was a noob and was asking this) i would glady post the link!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ed-

I was saying that I want to tune one, not build one from the GTS. Since the car is soo much older, the motor will have a lot of miles on it, so that's why I was thinking of just getting the JDM engine from an MR-2. But will the frame bend on a regular all trac? or were you saying that it would only if you made it from the GTS?

Hotwheel-

thanks for the link, very cool man :thumbup:

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Ah, thats a different voice all together.
Sure you can tune up a ST165, but it's going to proof to be a little hard since it's an older car and it's difficult to come buy certain parts (high perf. shocks come to mind).
And dont worry, the frame on the ST165 can handle madz amounts of powaa'. :D

·
Registered
13 Posts
Don't do it! Kill another dsm, ST165's are far too rare.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:)

The next DSM I build will be all out, everything you can think of, since they're so easy and cheap to build. I'm going to stick with the All Trac for now... my budget isn't too high, so if I find one in a month or so, I'll be able to put some money into it for a front mount, exhaust, turbo rebuild/port and clip, and the suspension I want. I'll baby it though, no way I'm going to thrash another, those days of wasting money are over. :D

·
GT-i Crew
632 Posts
Gumball3000 said:
:)

I'm going to stick with the All Trac for now... my budget isn't too high, :D
All Trac and low budget are mutually excluding terms, it's impossible to fit both in the same sentence :D

Ask anyone who owns one.

·
Registered
13 Posts
lcarocha said:
All Trac and low budget are mutually excluding terms, it's impossible to fit both in the same sentence :D

Ask anyone who owns one.
Try owning two:eek: :eek: I'm on a first name basis with the parts men at the Toyota dealer.

·
Bootsing the 165
126 Posts
quote "Try owning two I'm on a first name basis with the parts men at the Toyota dealer."

Flyin' Bryan, i know that you mean im rebuilding my 88 All-trac and they know me as soon as i walk in... soon i might have my own coffee mug so drink from as i order parts :lol:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts