Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of adding both, if they can coexist on the same truck. Any bull/light/sport bar that will fit with the TRD skid plate (w/o any modification)? I mean, will the bar fit thru the holes in the plate? Any other interferences?

Pics anyone?

Thanks.

·
PSU TACO
05 Access Cab TACO
116 Posts
Turtleboy said:
What do you guys use bull bars for? Just for looks, protection or to hold lights?
It must be for the :wowza: looks because the more I read about the westin bull bar the more I hear it is made like tinfoil

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
Plow78 said:
It must be for the :wowza: looks because the more I read about the westin bull bar the more I hear it is made like tinfoil
Tinfoil? Where'd you hear that?

It's made from .20" cold rolled steel. Which is 3 times as thick as the steel that the rear bumper is made of.

·
Banned
2,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Much thanks.

Turtle- I just want it for the looks and the lights. Doubt I'd ever use it for much more.

BTW- What would something like that light bar and the skid plate cost to powder coat?

·
Registered
46 Posts
jcatman said:
Much thanks.

Turtle- I just want it for the looks and the lights. Doubt I'd ever use it for much more.

BTW- What would something like that light bar and the skid plate cost to powder coat?
I love my powdercoating guy, and it would probably be 75-100 total to powdercoat in black!

·
Registered
05 taco
200 Posts
i got my westin bull bar to hold the lights , it looks pretty good to IMO , get alot of compliments on it :thumbup:

·
Registered
348 Posts
I think they look really good. I guess they could also help you push your way out of a tight parallel parking job if someone traps you in from the front. :)

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
taco B said:
i got my westin bull bar to hold the lights , it looks pretty good to IMO , get alot of compliments on it :thumbup:
Have you already mounted the lights? From your sig. it looks like you have the same lights I have.

To make the lights mount a little nicer and add a little more clearance at the top, I ground the bottom of that aluminum mounting base. It is flat on the bottom, but I ground a curve in it, so it fits the curve of the bull bar better.

I also wired the LEDs to the ignition circuit in the fuse box. The LEDs are ON whenever the engine is on. It gives a nice subtle glow. I get lots of compliments on 'em.

·
Registered
05 taco
200 Posts
hey PB yeah i already mounted the lights , Didnt grind down the base, the fit could be a bit better but it works for me right now. I had mine wired to the parking lights so the come on with them and the headlights , I do get alot of looks at dusk when i have just the parking lights on

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
taco B said:
hey PB yeah i already mounted the lights , Didnt grind down the base, the fit could be a bit better but it works for me right now. I had mine wired to the parking lights so the come on with them and the headlights , I do get alot of looks at dusk when i have just the parking lights on
Yeah, the fit was kind of tight on the top of the lamp housing. Grinding that curve in the base helped a lot.

Be sure your light covers are on correctly. I lost one, or somebody stole one, not sure. When they snap on try twisting them. There should be a little back and forth play when they are locked in place.

·
PSU TACO
05 Access Cab TACO
116 Posts
Pb2theMax said:
Tinfoil? Where'd you hear that?

It's made from .20" cold rolled steel. Which is 3 times as thick as the steel that the rear bumper is made of.
Maybe I am mistaken There has been some discussion over at tundrasolutions.com. Is the skid plate that comes with it thin?

·
Registered
05 taco
200 Posts
that sucks PB i check mine about once a week cuz i am paranoid about them falling off or something, i just mess with them everytime i wash my truck :banana:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Pb2theMax, was the Bullbar a direct bolt-on? no cutting or drilling? Looks great. I have a white sport and may have to get one. Thanks.

·
Cressida Whore
435 Posts
I've had a 94 4Runner with a bull bar and I have my 2002 4Runner with a brushgaurd. Both of them suck for use. There only good for looks. The bull bar did more damage to my front bumper when I tried to push my friends car up into the garage when we were replacing the headgasket. On my 02, I was goin wheelin, and I got to an offcamber area, where my sport skidplat came to use, and most of the weight pushed on the brushgaurd which made it shift and break my bug shield and cracked my grill. I wasnt even moving. Anyway, dont make the same 400dollar mistake. Buy a real ARB that'll hold up. And if your just happy with the looks, dont attempt to push anyone, unless there on a level area.

·
Surfing TN via iPhone
05 Tacoma DC 4x4 TRD
10,653 Posts
taco B said:
that sucks PB i check mine about once a week cuz i am paranoid about them falling off or something, i just mess with them everytime i wash my truck :banana:
Yeah, I got a new one off of an Ebay seller for $30. That's the cheapest I could find. :eek:

I lost it while on a road trip. If anybody in Iowa sees a PIAA light cover on the side of the road, give me a call. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts