Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
I am a mechanic and hate those things. They make it harder to access the engine compartment, front lights, etc. I have seen the cheaper ones just pivot and smash the front instead of protect it. I would assume you get what your pay for with these. If you want it for it's true purpose, get a good one. If you want it for looks, forget it.

·
Administrator
2008 Highlander Base
35,261 Posts
To the OP, there are a few past threads discussing bull bars at length in case you haven't searched for them, and they may contain relevant information. :thumbsup: Just throwing that out there.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
To the OP, there are a few past threads discussing bull bars at length in case you haven't searched for them, and they may contain relevant information. :thumbsup: Just throwing that out there.
Yeah I read several threads about them. The main reason for the post was to see how they hold up long term.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
QUOTE=Greasymechtech;14010000]Its for visual usage only for the kewl look at me crowd. Pretty sure it can block a mosquito or two without breaking.
In the past I've had clowns back into my front bumper. Not anything hard, but enough for a hitch to mangle my plate. While I know these things are not very protective I do think they would provide some protection in my case.

·
Registered
864 Posts
In most cases they are made of very thin tube bent. Those maybe light bars but even better ones won't do any good unless you have heavy steel robust mount for them and they don't fold in. If someone back in too far or their front hits this. Most fold in and crumple the grill or more It'll cost you more to fix than any bar you buy. As the mechanic said, working on the vehicle is a real pain.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
In the past I've had clowns back into my front bumper. Not anything hard, but enough for a hitch to mangle my plate. While I know these things are not very protective I do think they would provide some protection in my case.
The opposite is generally the case.
A minor impact that would normally bounce off will dent, scratch, and bend these, often causing damage to the frame at the mounting point, or to the "protected" part of the car as the bar bends and gets pushed back into the grille and lights, breaking the hard plastic parts that are normally up out of the way.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
In most cases they are made of very thin tube bent. Those maybe light bars but even better ones won't do any good unless you have heavy steel robust mount for them and they don't fold in. If someone back in too far or their front hits this. Most fold in and crumple the grill or more It'll cost you more to fix than any bar you buy. As the mechanic said, working on the vehicle is a real pain.
The bars I've looked have a top bar that is directly in front of the bumper cover and below the grille. From what I can see if a vehicle were to back into the bar the force would be spread out along the bar as it bends. I would rather a large rounded area press against the bumper than a 2 inch by 2 inch steel square. As far as working on the car goes I don't see that being an issue. The sits low and is not blocking any normally serviced parts. I realize these things won't do a lot, but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The opposite is generally the case.
A minor impact that would normally bounce off will dent, scratch, and bend these, often causing damage to the frame at the mounting point, or to the "protected" part of the car as the bar bends and gets pushed back into the grille and lights, breaking the hard plastic parts that are normally up out of the way.
The bars I'm looking at sit below the grille so it's impossible to hit that. As far as the headlights go it's not even close to those LOL. Also the weak point of these bars are the lower elbow area. In an impact this is where the bar is likely to bend and be pushed into the bumper. By design the frame mounts would be in no real danger. Also if the frame is in danger when the bar is bent then these cars are in serious trouble LOL.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They're ugly.
They reduce your approach angle.
They become damage-multipliers.
Being ugly is in the personal choice category so that doesn't count LOL.

Decreasing the approach angle is a valid point...if you're a rock crawler. The amount that these things stick down is negligible at best. Since I have no intention of rock crawling I would be OK in that area.

Damage multiplier...now this one intrigues me. This makes little sense to me. How does this multiply damage? The top crossbar sits perfectly horizontal directly in front of the front bumper. As you impact an object the bar will absorb some force and then transfer that force to the steel bumper core. In all reality the bar would offer some additional protection for the condenser and radiator section that is below the bumper. Such as small animals or debris.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Maybe google something like "bull bars pedestrian cyclist safety" and do some reading ... there's lots to read.

The front-ends of modern vehicles are designed to reduce injuries and deaths in collisions with pedestrians and cyclists. Bull bars defeat these designs.

I'll give you a head start by providing a link to "Bull bars and vulnerable road users" from the National Institutes of Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22239149

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maybe google something like "bull bars pedestrian cyclist safety" and do some reading ... there's lots to read.

The front-ends of modern vehicles are designed to reduce injuries and deaths in collisions with pedestrians and cyclists. Bull bars defeat these designs.

I'll give you a head start by providing a link to "Bull bars and vulnerable road users" from the National Institutes of Health: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22239149
I did some Googling and most every article states that it's the rigid bull bars found on police cars and similar vehicles that are the problem. I'm also linking an article that was linked from the page you posted. It says that pickups and suvs are dangerous to pedestrians and should not be purchased. I guess no one is gonna be safe til we are all walking.

http://www.advanceddrivers.com/2019/03/07/drivers-in-pick-up-trucks-or-suvs-are-more-likely-to-kill-pedestrians/

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,559 Posts
I did some Googling and most every article states that it's the rigid bull bars found on police cars and similar vehicles that are the problem. I'm also linking an article that was linked from the page you posted. It says that pickups and suvs are dangerous to pedestrians and should not be purchased. I guess no one is gonna be safe til we are all walking.

http://www.advanceddrivers.com/2019/03/07/drivers-in-pick-up-trucks-or-suvs-are-more-likely-to-kill-pedestrians/
Walking is unsafe too.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Yes, there are vehicles on the road, including pickup trucks and suv's, that are particularly dangerous to pedestrians. And, yes, police cars are increasingly under scrutiny for the "push bars" on many that are used to push vehicles and which have caused injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

Does that mean that it is necessary to make a Highlander more potentially dangerous to pedestrians? After all, the Highlander's vehicle category is "MPV". The popular term for MPV in the U.S. is "minivan".

I suppose you will do what you want but realize that, at best, you will look silly and, at worst, you will appear uncaring to those who understand these safety issues.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
355 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, there are vehicles on the road, including pickup trucks and suv's, that are particularly dangerous to pedestrians. And, yes, police cars are increasingly under scrutiny for the "push bars" on many that are used to push vehicles and which have caused injuries and deaths to pedestrians.

Does that mean that it is necessary to make a Highlander more potentially dangerous to pedestrians? After all, the Highlander's vehicle category is "MPV". The popular term for MPV in the U.S. is "minivan".

I suppose you will do what you want but realize that, at best, you will look silly and, at worst, you will appear uncaring to those who understand these safety issues.

Well I'll start with the easy one LOL. Looking silly is an opinion and I'm sure you know what they say about opinions. My wife for example has a saying for people who own white cars. I won't repeat it because people generally can't handle it. The fact that I see these things on many vehicles tells me that not everyone shares your opinion. Nothing wrong with that...it's the way of the world. As far as classification goes I'd be interested to know your info source. IIHS and the NHTSA both classify the Highlander as an SUV. Also I am guessing that you own a Highlander so I guess you look as uncaring as all the other folks on this board who drive a large vehicle over a smaller one. Lastly I don't think these bars are as dangerous to people as you claim. The bars that I'm looking at look to be about kneecap level. Now a hit to the kneecap would suck for, but not life threatening. I guess if an artery were severed things get dicey, but if a car is going fast enough to sever an artery with a round bar then I'm pretty sure that's the least of their problems. Anywho I gotta boogie, but if you can dig up a link to Highlanders being classified as an MPV I'd appreciate it. Your last link was an enjoyable read.

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
5,559 Posts
Well I'll start with the easy one LOL. Looking silly is an opinion and I'm sure you know what they say about opinions. My wife for example has a saying for people who own white cars. I won't repeat it because people generally can't handle it. The fact that I see these things on many vehicles tells me that not everyone shares your opinion. Nothing wrong with that...it's the way of the world. As far as classification goes I'd be interested to know your info source. IIHS and the NHTSA both classify the Highlander as an SUV. Also I am guessing that you own a Highlander so I guess you look as uncaring as all the other folks on this board who drive a large vehicle over a smaller one. Lastly I don't think these bars are as dangerous to people as you claim. The bars that I'm looking at look to be about kneecap level. Now a hit to the kneecap would suck for, but not life threatening. I guess if an artery were severed things get dicey, but if a car is going fast enough to sever an artery with a round bar then I'm pretty sure that's the least of their problems. Anywho I gotta boogie, but if you can dig up a link to Highlanders being classified as an MPV I'd appreciate it. Your last link was an enjoyable read.
First time I have heard of the Highlander called a MPV. I am more used to SUV and Crossovers. Or just a lifted Camry >:D. Otherwise everyone has their own opinion on cars, even if they are wrong >:D. For me, I want to get neon yellow 16" rims for my silver Camry because:
  1. It would look stupid
  2. It would only be used in winter
  3. I think seeing a silver/white car in a blizzard can be dangerous so at least the neon wheels can give it some visibility 0:)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts