Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
If you want one, buy it.
You asked for comments based on experience and you got them.
Weigh the information and make up your own mind... you don't need to respond to the comments you asked for and justify why you feel they don't apply to your situation.
Ultimately, it's your car and your money.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If you want one, buy it.
You asked for comments based on experience and you got them.
Weigh the information and make up your own mind... you don't need to respond to the comments you asked for and justify why you feel they don't apply to your situation.
Ultimately, it's your car and your money.
I got tons of information...unfortunately not really the info I was asking for LOL. It does keep the forum going tho so that's a plus. Perhaps I will post the question of a truck forum since they seem to use them a lot more. I do feel somewhat bad that they make the car more dangerous to people, but so do hammers LOL.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
I got tons of information...unfortunately not really the info I was asking for LOL. It does keep the forum going tho so that's a plus. Perhaps I will post the question of a truck forum since they seem to use them a lot more. I do feel somewhat bad that they make the car more dangerous to people, but so do hammers LOL.
It's just that they really were designed to be cosmetic, not true protective devices.
Like tube side steps, they work as steps, and they might protect the doors on a taller vehicle when someone parked next to them in a Civic bashes their door into them, but as "nerf bars" they are no protection (and could bend up and prevent the door from opening).

Same with the bull bar. It really offers no protection. Brush-guards at least will protect the front end from... well... brush... but they are also worse at causing damage when they are hit by something heavier.
A secondary issue is I'm not sure the Highlander even has a solid enough mounting point for one to provide protection from someone backing into it... and a trailer hitch ball is going through the bumper anyways.

·
Registered
Highlander Limited
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
It's just that they really were designed to be cosmetic, not true protective devices.
Like tube side steps, they work as steps, and they might protect the doors on a taller vehicle when someone parked next to them in a Civic bashes their door into them, but as "nerf bars" they are no protection (and could bend up and prevent the door from opening).

Same with the bull bar. It really offers no protection. Brush-guards at least will protect the front end from... well... brush... but they are also worse at causing damage when they are hit by something heavier.
A secondary issue is I'm not sure the Highlander even has a solid enough mounting point for one to provide protection from someone backing into it... and a trailer hitch ball is going through the bumper anyways.
I had a neighbor once that back into a Rav4 I had. He was creeping back and just got my plate with his receiver. He stop once he saw my Rav move. Now if I had a bull bar his bumper would have hit the bar first and may have saved my plate. While I know these things are not meant to protect I think one would help in parking lot situations. There are just so many people out there who don't care about who they bump into. I figure for less than 2 Benjamins it would be worth a shot. My main concern was how long they would hold up to the weather. I see those running boards all the time rusting out. Perhaps I will or won't...that jury is still out LOL.

·
Premium Member
2016 Corolla S Prem
3,616 Posts
My main concern was how long they would hold up to the weather. I see those running boards all the time rusting out. Perhaps I will or won't...that jury is still out LOL.
I had them on two pickups and never had a problem with them, but I kept them clean and waxed, and they don't salt the roads here.

Dust is chrome's enemy... the silver color you see is the nickel plating under the chromium. The chrome itself is only a couple of microns thick and it is a bluish-transparent material. It is extremely prone to damage from dust, and once the chromium is damaged, it's all over... deterioration of the substrate is just a matter of time. Steel wool hastens the deterioration, so attempts to remove rust spots will worsen the situation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I installed a bull bar with skid plate on my HL 2012. I did it after I went to a party at a friend's house and parked on the lawn. I managed to run into a sprinkler riser (about 16" high) that cut through all that plastic on the lower front end like a hot knife through butter.

$1000 and two weeks in the shop to do nothing but replace a bunch of plastic and I was ready.

Then, driving home, a junker of a car ahead of me lost its wheel cover which went rolling down the street ahead of me until I ran over it. Dreams of that cutting the same plastic is what caused me to go order a bull bar.

I really need the skid plate, rather than the bull bar part, but I haven't really found aftermarket metal skid plates for the HL.

·
Registered
843 Posts
As above stated few if any are sturdy enough to offer much protection. They'd need to have sturd arms going through the front grill area as well. Many Police highway cruisers have push bars so to speak which are secured that way as well in cruisers and SuV's. Merely bolting to the under arms is knowhere near enough strength. They;d just fold over as soon as you tap something causing a lot of upper damage.

I you're serious get some from Australia. Their's are Kangaroo rated !!! LOL Will be solid built. They're not just for show.

Anything you see sold here is an extremely thin tube as are the mounting points barely able to support them You need stainless steel to contend with rust. If steel well power coated and they'd be black.

The Aussie bars have to be the best!!

21 - 27 of 27 Posts