Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey there io have a 2009 corolla ce from canada. anyway it has 36,000 km on it and i just recently got an oil change. after that oil change about 3 weeks ago i started to get a burning oil or exaust fumes smell come into the cabin. i thought it was oil spillied it tje engine that was burning but its been 3 weeks. when i drive on the highway it fine but when i have to stop on an intersection or light that smell comes back again. it never happened before and im at my wits end with this peice of shit car. i also got the rotten egg smell in cold weather issue as well, and the ac mildew smell as well. this is a disapointing car. anyone with the oil burning smell?:headbang:

·
Registered
09 Corolla S!
508 Posts
Damn, sounds like it's time to file a lemon law claim bro. o.0

Don't take me up on that, I have no clue what I'm talking about. If you want a piece of USEFUL advice, then all I can tell you to do is take it back to the dealer. There's a TSB for the mildew smell, a rotten egg smell (i believe) is due to a rotten exhaust, which also means you could have a leak somewhere between the engine and the muffler, which allows exhaust fumes to leak into the cabin when the car's stationary.

Also, another piece of semi-useful advice: If you even SUSPECT there could be a problem with your car's exhaust system, keep in mind it could be deadly. If you find yourself growing tired for no reason as you're driving down the road you need to pull over and get the hell out of that car until you know it's safe to drive!

More info on "exhaust smell" in a car's cabin: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080116192314AAzBJEr
(Did a quick Google for you.) =P

·
Registered
629 Posts
hey there io have a 2009 corolla ce from canada. anyway it has 36,000 km on it and i just recently got an oil change. after that oil change about 3 weeks ago i started to get a burning oil or exaust fumes smell come into the cabin. i thought it was oil spillied it tje engine that was burning but its been 3 weeks. when i drive on the highway it fine but when i have to stop on an intersection or light that smell comes back again. it never happened before and im at my wits end with this peice of shit car. i also got the rotten egg smell in cold weather issue as well, and the ac mildew smell as well. this is a disapointing car. anyone with the oil burning smell?:headbang:
that sucks....i had a funny odor and brought it in for the TSB a/c foul odor...sorry i cant find the TSB number...but that helped with the smell....maybe it'll do something for ur car

·
Registered
254 Posts
If you have a really early 09, there is a TSB which changes the engine programming to reduce oil consumption. I just had it done a month or two ago under warranty. (I had to take the TSB printout and number to the dealer because they were not aware of this TSB.)

Also did you have the oil changed at the dealer? - if not maybe the oil change place changed oil weights on you (for example from 10W30 to 5W20 (- not sure what the factory recommended weight is) and that may be the culprit - since the problem happened after the oil change.

You can do a search on this forum for the ac mildew problem as I remember several threads on the topic. The dealer can fix it (under warranty) but I recall one guy just sprayed Lysol on the carpets under the ac or in the cabin air filter or something like that. Other brands of cars share this problem also.

The rotten egg smell (sulphur dioxide) is an indication that the emissions control system if probably not working correctly, and I believe the warranty on emissions systems is 50 or 60 thousand miles. It could be oil in the exhaust reaching the catalytic converter. Definitely a dealer repair item under warranty.

Sorry you are having problems and are unhappy with your Corolla. Being a Toyota, traditionally you should be able to drive it off the dealer lot and not have to come back except for scheduled maintenance and wearout items.

It looks like you will have to have some fixes. Go about them informed and with TSBs (Toyota Service Bulletins) when possible as it will increase the likelihood of a satisfactory solution the first time. Dealer service writers are not necessarily familiar with all the TSBs, and if you give them one with the service code number, they can get on-board quickly and not hassle you.

·
30YRTOYOTAPARTSEXPERINCE
04 Camry; 09 Sienna
1,237 Posts
My suggestion is to take it back to the dealer. I don't know about Canada emissions Laws, but here in the states it goes beyond the 3/36 warranty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok today i was driving and it started to smell like a had a jerry tank full of gas in the car cabin. it was awful im taking the car in the morning.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts