Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1998 Camry LE with gray cloth upholstery. Passengers of the previous owner dropped cigarettes and burned really black places on the seat bottom cushion. The cars at the wrecking yard have been exposed to the weather from broken windows, missing doors, etc..
Would welcome suggestions for making it look better.
Hobby Lobby has fabric paint for decorating T-shirts, etc. But not gray. Am considering using white and black-- which they do have. Put some white on piece of clean metal, add a little black and mix until the color is about right and then use knife blade to transfer it to the black places on the seat. That is the only plan I have devised thus far.
Suggest a better plan.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,799 Posts
maybe a good set of quality seat covers? Not the ones you get at Ross/Wally world, but something that is made to fit?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
1. car-part.com
2. Take a second look at the junkyard seats - some carpet shampoo and it may come out better than you think.
3. Lame seat covers. Ughhh.
4. Focus your attention on bigger fish in life, and the seats will stop bothering you. Had cig burns on door covers from who knows which one of the previous owners, never cared enough to do anything about it. Eventually, the car got totalled by an inattentive driver and that problem, along with a laundry list of others, departed my life before I ever had a chance to do anything about it, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
540 Posts
if you can take off the seat covers from a junkyard car, wash them and install onto your seats/foams would work (the waterlogged foam from a junkyard seat might never loose its funky smell, but swapping the covers avoids that risk)

sheepskin seat covers are amazing (expensive, but amazing): warm in winter, cool in summer, and the wool supports you more evenly than any other kind of material, ideal for a long distance vehicle (or a taxi driver)

Norm

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good suggestions and am working on them. The burned places were quite hard and stiff-- only the fabric nap was burned, not holes burned through. I did find at Hobby lobby some Tulip brand silver fabric paint for about $1.80. Wife says the seat looks a bit better now. But the paint is not a great repair.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts