Toyota Nation Forum banner

Burning oil like crazy. Gts

1003 Views 5 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  slugbeast
So, the other day my car was idling bad after I started it, which was strange. No leaks or anything. Put some oil in it and it was fine. Now, if I push it over 5.5k rpm or so it starts smoking like crazy out the back. I can smell the burning oil. Driving normal to lightly it's fine though. I also noticed my oil temp seems a little higher too. I'm not sure what's wrong. Maybe valves? It's frustrating. Anybody have any thoughts.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
89' SR5
120 Posts
How many miles are on the bottom end? And blue smoke I assume? It could be oil retaining rings (piston rings) if it's a high mileage or badly maintained motor. OR yes, valves; head gasket or cracked block also possibilities... If your oil temp went up maybe the oil pump is failing or there is some kind of clog or oil delivery problem or oil pump failure, that will cause internal damage pretty quick. how is oil pressure?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just hit 126k. I also changed the oil shortly after it idled weird the one day since it was due. It drives perfectly fine so long as I don't push it too hard. I know it has an oil cooler on it too. I don't know if that's the culprit and if it's not cooling or clogged then it'll run hotter and maybe to the point of burning off? Engine temp is normal too.

· Registered
1997 Corolla
6,475 Posts
The oil pump will generate more pressure at higher RPMs, but there should be a regulator valve that limits the pressure going to the engine internals. A wild guess, that your problem has something to do with that, or there is normally a little higher oil pressure at 5.5k, so the first signs of wear would be at higher RPM. Or maybe the return from the regulator is slightly clogged. Do you have an oil pressure gauge on your cluster, and notice any difference?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sorry about the delayed reply. My oil pressure is higher. When regular driving it's where it should be when at high rpm, but it idles at regular pressure. When it starts to burn the oil and it smokes, I feel it stutter a bit and lose power too.

· Registered
89' SR5
120 Posts
Hmm. Maybe it isn't really a current oil delivery problem then. If I were in your position I would do a compression check, (you can get a gauge as a free rental from an auto part store probably). Have you pulled spark plugs to see if one maybe has more oil than the others? If it is stuttering and losing power maybe the leak is only in one cylinder?

Basically we're trying to figure out whether it is just a valve problem or major bottom end wear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.