Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving my car as I normally do and at a random moment I smelled something that smelled like burning plastic or maybe a wire. It went away quickly so I thought maybe it was coming from a nearby car. Later on I smelled it again and began to get worried. Parked my car and popped the hood and the smell was faint but definitely there. I had to go to work so I couldn't continue to investigate. After work I drove my car home and the smell was faint again and I'd be able to smell it at random times.
Once I got home I popped the hood and the smell was stronger then before. Luckily I have a decent sized nose (really it'd quite the honker) so I put it to good use and started get close up to different parts under the hood and pinpointed the location where it's strongest. I took a picture to show/give an idea in hopes of having someone here help me out and shedding some light on my problem. Of the 2 harnessed beside the fusebox, it's the one closest to the driver.
There's no signs of anything melting/burning.

Any help would be appreciated. I'm scared to drive it now because I don't want to cause any further dmg

Attachments

· Registered
508 Posts
yer sure your odor is coming from the engine bay ?

reason being is that there is a recall on a faulty window switch
that needs replacement or contact correction made
as it can short out - arc and possibly even catch fire.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure it's coming from under the hood. I double checked the master power window controls and it's not coming from there.

So now I've realized something. When I'm driving I don't smell it but when I come you a stop at a light or elsewhere I smell it coming through the driver side vent. I'm really hoping it's just a plastic bag that had melted it's way on to the exhaust pipe under the car or something. I won't know that for sure until I can get it hoisted up.

None of my gauges are showing any signs of trouble and no dash board lights are on.

I thought I should mention that just a few days ago I had my oil changed too. But I don't know if that could possibly be the reason

Thanks again for your time and help.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well mystery solved. The first time I smelled the burning smell I checked under the car for anything that could have possibly melted and stuck itself to my exhaust but didn't find anything. Just checked again and found a bag. Smell is gone. Sorry for any confusion but you can understand why I freaked out lol.

· Registered
508 Posts
...glad ya found the issue

I was thinking it was that...
or that the oil service business dripped oil all over the place.

Tho' generally burning oil doesn't smell the same as burning plastic.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.