Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
the overhead view....
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a burning question. no really i smell burning constantly on my new (1500 mile) truck. It is a stick so at first i thought maybe a new clutch needs to be "burned" or broke in being that i have never driven a brand new vehicle. But now after 1500 miles I'm a little suspisious. Ive driven stick for ever so I dont think i drive in any way that is abusive. Please don't remind me thats it's under warrenty, I'll get to that. I'm just trying to put together some info for the inevitable less than interested in my problem dealer experience. It's 15 degrees here so as you might have guessed I havent done much investigating. too cold and as i said: it's under warrenty. Anyone had this issue with a new truck.

07 4 cyl. 4x4 manual

thanks,
David

·
Registered
137 Posts
Does it have a particular smell? Exhaust, plastic... As you know a burning clutch has it's own disctinct smell.

·
Theatre Nerd Person...yea
Tacoma
1,969 Posts
Aye, if you could tell us what you think it smells like that would help a ton. It could be a bunch of things based on what you described. Could be a slipping clutch or a heat shield come off one of the CAT's and now the cat is burning something.

·
the overhead view....
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i guess rubber burning. i dont have too great a nose for it but its not a brake smell and i havent actually smelled clutch in so long. probably doesnt help much.

·
Zero
2007 Toyota Tacoma
10 Posts
Burning clutch

I have an 07 4-cyl, 4wd and am regularly burning the clutch on inclines at high rpm. I regularly make a steep left hand turn and burn it just about every time. Also burn it in reverse on an incline. I have about 9,700 mi on mine. I'm going to take it to the dealer just to get it documented in case there is any warranty issue later. I know it's not burning rubber because the road is ice and snow covered (Fairbanks, AK).

·
Registered
30 Posts
well my clutch did that and lastnight my buddies and i were in my truck and the smell of clutch just filled my truck and it went out lastnight..i have an 06 2.7 5 speed 66000 miles..so now the fun begins..

·
forget about "tsb's"
5,418 Posts
as said before, clutch smells like clutch. you're probably smelling some of the stuff they coat the underside of the vehicles with for shipping burning off. mine did that for a while too. you could have ran over a platic bag that has stuck to your exhuast somewhere, who knows. without checking it's going to be hard to say for sure. i do know for a fact though that there is some material that will burn away on some of the metal parts. they put it on there to keep from rusting during shipping, etc. another thing to consider, i don't know if they added undercoat to your vehicle or not but, they could have oversprayed some on an exhaust component if so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts