Toyota Nation Forum banner

Burning rubber smell on newly delivered Venza

5K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Tekz 
#1 ·
Just took delivery of Venza limited only had it for a day now, and started to noticed a burning rubber smell coming through the ventilation when slowing down to a stop, and while stopped. The smell seems to get stronger the longer while stopped. While the car is in motion, the smell the dissipates and we don't really notice it after driving for a bit. Wondering if anyone else has experienced this? I thought it might might be the smell of something breaking in, but wanted to see if anyone else noticed this before I contact the dealership? If so, did it go away on it's own, or did you guys take it in to get inspected and whether any issues were identified? Thanks in advance!

#4 ·
Thanks for your reply. For sure, I appreciate that the interior of the car will have a "new car" smell as the various materials off gassing like the seating material, the plastics, etc..., but this is coming in through the ventilation specifically when slowing down, or coming to a complete stop. It's not a smell that is constantly there, or there when I first get into the vehicle and start it.

#7 ·
We west to testdrive a New Venza with 4 miles in the odometer and notice the strong smell coming out of the front of the radiator like a burning rubber or plastic wanted to buy it, let the salesman and manager obout it they said is a new car and it has no problem
I don't think is a normal thing to happen in a new car specially a Japanese made vehicle .

Will see what happens, today we are suppose to pick up the car from the dealer. Keep you posted!

#8 ·
I've bought many new vehicles in my 75yrs, American made or otherwise, most have had some sort of "burning" odor for a few miles at normal operating temperature, if it doesn't go away in a reasonable time, then have the service dept check it out. Worst I've experienced was my '19 Rav4, but every Toyota I've owned has had some burning odors for a while that disappeared after driving at highway speeds for a while.

#10 ·
Our own experience with this:
We took possession of our 2021 Venza with 6 miles on the ODO and didn't experience any smells for around a week. Only after we took a longer drive at a sustained higher speed and pulled immediately into the garage afterward did we notice a similar burning-rubber smell. Slower speed in-town drives didn't cause this same smell. We wondered if it was actually the new tires finally warming up on the faster drive for the first time that was causing the issue, but we couldn't isolate the source of the smell. We "smelled" for this issue after each drive home for a while, but it hasn't returned. Maybe it was the tires, maybe something in the engine compartment that got hot for the first time, but didn't seem to be an issue beyond that one incident...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.