Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
95 Avalon with 162k miles just recently developed a burning smell after driving. I thought it was oil leaking out of the rear cylinder head cover down onto the exhaust manifold. Since it's such a beast to replace that gasket I knew I was headed to a garage. I just now discovered that I have a leak somewhere in my power steering system as the level in the resovoir keeps dropping - leak is on the passenger side - just beside the tire. Is there any way the smell could be the PS fluid leak? Or maybe I'm looking at 2 problems here. Oh joy!:headbang:

·
#1ToyFan
Avalon,Celica,&Tundr
13 Posts
check your rack in pinion, power steering line and the pump is on the passanger side right beside your tire. It's not cheap.

·
TN's ExercisePhysiologist
96 S/CToyotaAvalonXL
851 Posts
^ rack and pinion is a pretty common thing on our avas....

·
97 Avalon Silver Spruce
97 Avalon
276 Posts
HA I have the same thing now on mine! its def from the valve cover gasket. its the oil dripping onto the hot exhaust manifold. It fucking stinks too, especially after full throttle action because it makes the manifolds very hot. Just change the valve cover gaskets and wash it off, the prob will be gone...As far as the PS leaking, mine is too...I replaced the rack and pump at 60k miles and now at 95k its leaking again, albeit slower than the last time. I guess not even Toyota's are perfect.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar leak

I have one or the other leak - can you tell me what kind of price for parts if I were to do it myself and labor if I took it to a non toyota but reputable repair shop to get these fixed?

Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts