Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys back with another question. So I was driving the other day and I hit a bump in the road. My car made a metal clunking sound like something was loose on the front passenger wheel. In your guys's experience with 1998 Camrys, what is the most common cause of this issue? Or how can I pinpoint the cause of the noise? My guess is a ball joint or tie rod went bad. Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
1,014 Posts
We won't be able to tell, but you can: jack up the front end and safely support it, then pull and shake the tire listening / feeling for looseness / noise. Take off the wheel/tire and use a pry bar to see if there is looseness in any of the joints.
If you can't find it, a mechanic often can, doing the same tests and a drive test.

My first guess, for a noise visible over bumps, is a sway bar link, they go bad and make a tremendous amount of rattling noise, and are cheap to replace.

·
Registered
Look in sig
8,985 Posts
sway bar links are common issues. Lower part of the sway bar link tends to go bad first. Otherwise, could be the sway bar bushing to the bracket is gone bad. Clunking noise could also be cause of a sway bar bushing bracket bolt working its way loose as well.

Tie rods, you'll have a decent amount of play in the 9 and 3 oclock angles. lower ball joint, usually 12/6 oclock and a torn up lbj boot.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sway bar links are common issues. Lower part of the sway bar link tends to go bad first. Otherwise, could be the sway bar bushing to the bracket is gone bad. Clunking noise could also be cause of a sway bar bushing bracket bolt working its way loose as well.

Tie rods, you'll have a decent amount of play in the 9 and 3 oclock angles. lower ball joint, usually 12/6 oclock and a torn up lbj boot.
Thanks I'll check it out. I got a pretty decent 98 Camry it just needs some tlc and I think it'll have a few extra years in it

1 - 4 of 4 Posts