Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2000 VE
110K/Miles

Like a-lot of people here my corolla has turned to the dark side and started drinking oil at a alcoholic pace. It started off as a small amount and gradually got to a point where it's eating to much.
The motor is at the point of power loss and I can feel it about to seize up any moment.

I've called around and the best price for a motor is 1k but the guy couldn't tell me if it was rebuilt avoiding the piston ring problem again.

So the questions are,

Can someone recommended a rebuild kit for me?

I've seen some rebuild kits for $700 but then again i've seen a gasket set & piston and ring set for $200.

Instructions and helpful hunts?

My knowledge of motors are pretty slim and I will be relying on my friend to rebuilt the motor with me helping. Are there particular things to watch for and avoid or address while tearing down and installing?

What other motors fit in this body with easy installation?

I hear JDM motors are good but won't work for my car. Is this true?

Based off of what I've researched were going to do,

Head off and machined
Head gasket
Valve cover and stem's
Intake manifold gasket
Exhaust manifold gasket
Piston's and Rings

I don't know the condition of the cylinder walls so I don't know what size rings to get yet. Can someone give me some insight on their experiences?

Thanks!

·
Registered
510 Posts
You have low milage for a rebuild, but if your car is burning oil like mine ( a quart every 300 miles or so) go for it. I changed my oil at 3000 miles since new ,and there was almost no wear (parts were still within new limits). The valves and seats did need reconditioning though. I bought all Toyota parts, Shopped on line. Its late, I will post more later.
Sam

·
Registered
2005 Corolla
533 Posts
I recommend an engine from an 04-08 corolla/vibe/matrix, as they have the revised pistons and rings from the factory to address the oil consumption issue. You'll have to transfer over some of the exterior parts such the throttle body, intake and exhaust manifolds, probably some of the sensors, wiring, maybe starter and power steering pump, etc. Its the best way to go in my opinion. There was a thread on here awhile ago where a guy had your same issue on a 2000 or 2001 Corolla and just swapped in an engine from a 2005 Corolla.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Buying a used engine is easier, but the condition will be unknown. I have bought plenty of junk yard engines and transmissions, and they are hit or miss. You can always return them if they are junk though.

Rebuilding the engine is expensive, your going to need tools over and above what was needed just to pull the engine and you will need manuals( I have three for the corolla, and they all have details the others lack). The manuals will tell you what tools you need, and what procedures to follow to check and rebuild the engine.

It takes more time and care to rebuild (mesuring parts, machine work, cleaning parts, looking for and waiting for parts and assembly), but if you do it right. you will know what you have and it will last.

It really depends on what you want. I am going to keep my car for another 10 years 100000 miles.

You did not really say how bad the oil burning problem was ,and "loss of power and feels like its about to seize up" is subjective. Is it burning so much oil that you have run out of oil before? Do you still have good compression? The corolla repair manuals will guide you through the process of determining what is wrong with your engine and then how best to procede.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts