Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been pondering getting a new car (Scion tC or something like that), but I am realizing that my exsisting car (see sig) is paid off in full, and it is all mine.

If I were to buy a new car, I would be mailing off a check every month for many years to come.

What do you think? Should I just keep my exsisting car and keep doing mods (suspension, exhaust, CAI, etc.), or should I buy a new car?

I don't know. When I see my deposit/withdrawl sheets online, I am realizing that I am making FAR more money that I spend, and I have it VERY easy right now. Paying off a $6,000 car, buying $2,000 worth of camera gear, and $1,000 worth of other parts last year was hard, but I figure I can very easily keep ~$70 cents of every dollar I net, and do whatever the hell I want.

I guess typing this, I have pretty much answered my own question, but any insight? This might be the only point in my life where I have a job (not being a kid), can have nice things, and not be in debt at all. After college, I will buy a house (I hope), and after that, I will be a slave to bills and all that. If I save and have some careful fun now, I might have it VERY easy in a few years when I have some real bills to pay.

If I work at it, I could seriously have $30,000+ in savings by the time I'm out of college - and no debt :eek:

Shit, if I'm careful, I could have pretty much ANYTHING parked in my driveway by the time I'm 30 :D

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Chenfucious said:
:eek: :eek: :eek:
What do you do that you can make that much money and still have time to be in college???

!!!!SCION TC!!!!
I work a lot of hours at moderate pay.

I live at home (like I said in the post), so I have basically zero expenses. I treat money like Warren Buffet does, and it really adds up. If you make more than you spend for years, it really adds up - thats why people who make $50k a year can buy a 360 Mondena in cash at 35.

·
On The Street
268 Posts
^ keep ur current car it isnt that old of a car. i drive the a same 97 camry le. with that money save for a house. when u are busy with college and dont have time for work u can use ur saving to live off of. also think about the future house prices are skyrocketing if u by a house ur houses value will go up while ur cars value will decrease. also think in the future if ull have kids. kids aint cheap to maintain. put it for saving for them .

but thats just me. im only 16 i dont know about u but ur maybe 18/19 years old maybe?? so its really up to u.

·
What the Pho?
2000 Solara
1,438 Posts
Seriously, save at least for like a year or so. U are fortunate to have paid off ur vehicle. I am DIEING to buy a G35 and I also planned to buy it RIGHT after college and my SOlara is done with payments next feb. So... But i decided to save cause, u never now, gas prices might be $5/gallon one day and then what? (Well, u kno what i mean, I mean prices in general for everything and u never know, financial troubles could arise out the blu like a auto-accident) U never know~

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, maybe I should just save for a while and see what happens.

·
Official Acura Troll
1,292 Posts
save, like u said, u should have 30k by the time you're out of college. think about what kinda a house u could get with that.

especially since u have such a rare car (V6, 5spd) I'd go for teh house, how many of your friends are gonna have a brand new house straight out of college? (this is assuming u're not using funny money aka canadian money)

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
02RSX90camry said:
save, like u said, u should have 30k by the time you're out of college. think about what kinda a house u could get with that.

especially since u have such a rare car (V6, 5spd) I'd go for teh house, how many of your friends are gonna have a brand new house straight out of college? (this is assuming u're not using funny money aka canadian money)
US of A dollars.

Yeah, my Camry is a rare car, but I want faster :D - maybe if I find a Dodge Stealth or 300ZX for a good price, I can pick one up and make it my rocket ship, and the Camry can be my reliable beater.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Warped said:
How bout you save till you're outta college, then get a Z, paid in full. :D
:werd:

Probably an STi, thought.

If I buy a house, it could potentially appreciate $20, 30, 50k a year, and I could buy a freaking Ferrari 420 Mondena in CASH :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.