Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, Im new to here, Id like to ask you if the somebody can give me an advice. I have a chance to buy 1987 Camry with 51K, very good condition from first owner retired man for $ 1400. Is it good buy ? How many problems I can expect fro the car. He said that in the morning the white smog coming from exhaust only when its cold but I think its normal. Could you guys help me, please ? Thank you

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
white smoke from teh exhaust on clod morings is normal. As long as it does not continue after the car has warmed up. At least not excessive. IT all depends onthe humidity in the air and temp and allt ath as to how much is normal though.

For 1400 it sounds like a good deal and all. You jsut want to make sure it has been maintained well with the low mileage. I bought an 10 year old truck with 56k miles on it. The guy said he changed the oil and on and aon blah blah blah. Well within about 2 months the timing chain went out then another 6-8 months after that the bottome end went out. I ahd called the guy and his idea of changing the oil regularly was every 3000 miles. the only problem was taht amounted to about 1 and a hafl times per year. If a car is not going to be driven very much the maintenance needs to be done on tiem schedules and not mileage schedules. As for major problems, you probably wont have many itf any at all. Just make sure you have all teh fluids changed and maybe do a good tune up on it if it hasnt been done and I would have the timing belt done pretty soon. Can you get some pictures of it to post.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont have any of pics and guys seaid it was maintened regular times but you know everybody can say that. The car looks good with no problems but its 19 years old car. I have to think about that but not too long time due to he has the FOR SALE sign on the window. Thanks a lot for your replay !!

·
Camry Under Construction
668 Posts
it seems like a good buy but as cyorke said make sure you he is reliable in saying that he has done all the proper maintenience on it.

·
Gen 4 XLE v6
02 Toy Solara V6 MT
3,192 Posts
over a cheaper deal (with the mind set that 1400 is still a good deal). Check car-fax, warm up the car and take it for a sping, if the white smoke continues after warm up and drive..there may be head problems...but white smoke on AM hours this time of the year is typical!

·
Registered
28 Posts
a 19 year old car is going to have a lot of little problems with rubber and plastic parts over time; but if you compare the cost to a new p.o.s. that is a great deal. just not having to have collision insurance is enough saving to keep it running.

·
Moving Forward
3,144 Posts
He makes a good point. The rubber around the fdoors and things like that may be dryrotted some. But also the hoses under the hood and the brake lines and things like taht may need some attention sooner than later. Overall though you probably would not have to spend a huge amount of money on it if you can do some of the work yourself. Front seals may need work, valve cover gasket, trans pan gasket things like thta also. ignition parts like distributor cap and rotor maybe. Like I said before it really depends on waht kind of maintenance the guy has done to it in the past based on time and not mileage.

·
MCH Engineer in training
532 Posts
too bad u werent in PA, id sell you my '93 gen 3 250-260hp 3vzfe with 3500 miles on new engine for only a lil more than that, but that price is cuz of the engine code (knock sensor...argh) and damage from a guard rail on the rear quarter panel and some other minor bruises thx to the 2 previous "owners/drivers"....aka my brother and sister, it should be worth so much more.... :cursin:

·
Midship Captain
1991 MR2 Turbo
1,647 Posts
is the 87 a Gen 1? I would love to get my hands on a Gen 1 in any condition, Im sort of a collector of camry's I own a Gen 5 and a Gen2 and maybe soon a Gen 3.

Anyway i say go for it, but try to get the price to $1000...AND BE SURE TO DRIVE IT!!!! Check the fluids, and if the guy will go for it, take it to a mechanic for a pre-inspection to see if everything is in working order.

·
Broken Toy Hoarder
05 Avalon/96 LS400
24 Posts
I'd say it's a great deal. Most 2nd gens I see around for $1400 are sitting with 140k+ or in piss poor condition. Yeah, for the 87-88's the plastics are a bit brittle at this age. You should see and hear the craking and popping as I remove interior pieces. But if you plan on just using this as a daily driver and nothing more, you can't really go wrong.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.