Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Fükentuken
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Haven't been here for too long. Spent some time in the Pick-Up section because I was looking at buying one and had an amazing number of people respond me with excellent excellent feedback and advise. I am hoping my luck still remains the same :)

So, Iv been reading up a little about the Celica's and I came across a 94 GT with about a 150,000 kms on the clock. Painted Electric blue, never seen winter, good stuff basically from what I hear.

But I was reading some reviews on the 94's and couple of the common things I keep coming across were;

-Road Noise
-Tire Noise
-Not much power
-No performance mods
-expensive car to maintain

I don't know how true they are, if members could explain or expand on these topics that would be fantastic.

All in all, is the 6th Gen a better buy or is the 5th gen one a better deal. Cant afford the 7th.
I'm not looking to race or anything. Just drop it, intake, exhaust and some flushed wheels.

But yes, any additional info is always helpful. I don't know much or anything about them...so a lesson on these cars would be fascinating:D

Cheers

·
Registered
421 Posts
.....I came across a 94 GT with about a 150,000 kms on the clock. Painted Electric blue, never seen winter, good stuff basically from what I hear.

But I was reading some reviews on the 94's and couple of the common things I keep coming across were;

-Road Noise
-Tire Noise
-Not much power
-No performance mods
-expensive car to maintain

I don't know how true they are, if members could explain or expand on these topics that would be fantastic.

All in all, is the 6th Gen a better buy or is the 5th gen one a better deal.......Cheers
150,000 kilometers is nothing for a Toyota motor. I'd be more worried about the hideous electric blue colour, lol.

I'm more of a Gen4 guy but I've driven them before and those concerns are unfounded. I've always admired the Gen6's.

-Road & Tire Noise: is no worse than any other car.
-Power is 135 hp; Torque 145 ft lbs - could use more (who couldn't?) but more than adequate for a car of this size
-Performance Mods: some, but yeah, minimal. It is an "economy" engine, after all
-Expensive to Maintain: more expensive than domestic, of course, but no more than any other 15-year-old import car. Not bad if you do some of your own wrenching.

Gen6 or Gen5, which is a better deal? Gen5 will be cheaper by virtue of age. Gen6 has a stiffer chassis and lighter weight. What style do you prefer better? It's a toss up. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I currently own a 91 celcia gt and a 95 celica gt. I love both but my 95 is my #1. Its got about 181k miles on it and it runs just like it did back before it hit 100k and it'll last forever so the mileage aint a big deal. Mines a 5 spd manual and never had any issues shifting or anything. heres my opinion on the rest

Road/ Tire Noise- about the same as any other ive driven, not bad at all. less noise then ive heard in my civics and accords.
-Not much power - its not bad compared to others, I'd love to have more stock but its better then nothin
-No performance mods - it'd be great if their were more but theres only a few good ones. get a turbo/nitrous kit once you've topped out on other mods and that'll help power wise
-expensive car to maintain- in the few years ive had mine I havent spent more then any other car I've had maintaining it. If you go an get a windsheild busted out (like i did) its a pain to find certain parts ex windshield at least in my area. Its faster to order what you need online if you need somethin fast but it hasnt cost me much keepin her in great shape.

hope it helps making your decision. I've loved mine since i got it and dont plan on gettin rid of her anytime. Around here theres only 2 other celicas 94-99 generation around so its pretty nice having something different from the million civics and eclipses.

·
Fükentuken
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey

Thanks for the info and yes it definitely answers my questions. I like the 6th gen over the 5th, a little newer with some safety features which is what I am leaning towards. If it wasn't for safety features I would be buying an AE86...lol !!!

I do like having ABS, 4 wheel Discs and Airbags...which is what saved my life in a previous accident I had.

I am more of a RWD kinda guy, all my previous cars were RWD so not too big of a fan of FWD. Turning radius is not very impressive and it corners very differently, but lets see how she goes. I am also looking at 240SX's, but a clean one is hard to find and the ones that are, they are well beyond my price range.

How do the Celica's handle during the winter time, in slush and ice. Living Canada and specially in a Snow Belt region, does not help...but yeah.

Well I'm just waiting for the guy to get back to me and then gonna go check out the vehicle and probably make a deal.

Kinda disappointing that there isn't much performance mods available for the Celica which is a sports car. What kind of mods are available though? Other than motor swaps or forced induction.

Once again thanks for the info :)

·
Awesome ends with me.
!990 Celica GT
88 Posts
Hey guys, ......
So, Iv been reading up a little about the Celica's and I came across a 94 GT with about a 150,000 kms on the clock. Painted Electric blue, never seen winter, good stuff basically from what I hear. .................

Cheers
Hey .........

Well I'm just waiting for the guy to get back to me and then gonna go check out the vehicle and probably make a deal. ...............

Once again thanks for the info :)

Just curious, so what are the specs on the car and how much is it going for?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts