Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...first post here.

I think I am about to join the Taco crew...I currently have a 2k Dakota 4x4 4.7L and plan on buying a new Tacoma soon. I am either going to get the TRD offroad or the sport, haven't decided on which yet. If they had impulse red in the sport, that'd be my choice...but someone at Toyota apparently didn't like that combo.

Anyways, I just wanted to get some people opinions of the other options that I should get on the truck. I do pretty much all "on the road" driving and pull a 19.5' bass boat some. From what i've read on bass fishing forums, the tacoma is satisfying people pulling boats...so that doesn't seem to be an issue. Im going to get the towing package with whatever my choice is. Are there any other options I need to consider? I've read this forum for hours now and sure am learning a lot.

thanks

ba$$fan

·
Insitu Taco
06 Taco D-Cab Sport
463 Posts
Completely up to you... but... I liked the sport, mainly because of the body colored handles/bumpers/grill surround and what not... and I guess the hood scoop too... :D I also bought the short bed because the long bed wouldn't give me much clearance in the ole garage...

options: I like the JBL stereo even though some people say it's garbage. As far as other options go, I found everything I needed in the Sport + tow

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
You basically get the same interior options inside with Sport or Offroad. They both can have the tow package. Other than the pkg itself, no alot of single options available in upstate NY. For example, no leather, VSC, or side airbag options here.

·
My Other Truck
4,258 Posts
Welcome to the Nation! You're gonna love the Taco after your Dakota. :cool:

Sport might be the better choice for you -- it has limited-slip rear diff, while the OR has a locker that can only be engaged in 4-low. Also, Sport is biased more to highway driving, with larger sway bars and different spring & shocks.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Being up in snow country I'd recomend the 4x4 version, and replace the stock tires ASAP! They suck, and I almost lost the truck 2 weeks after getting it last year on a light dusting of snow because the tread filled up.

Composite bed means the back end is even lighter than your other truck so 300-400lbs in the bed or 4wd is almost required for snow.

The locking differential is almost useless if you don't offroad and use 4LO, but with the locker mod done you can turn it on just about any time (below a certain speed which I forget at the moment). I used it a couple times on snowy dirt roads when the back end started to drift. Pushed the button and she straightened right out. It seems to engage faster than 4HI, doesn't drop my gas mileage, and doesn't require me to back off the gas for the 4wd to kick in. It's nice for those short, straight distances you need a little more traction.

As for towing the boat, get the Tow Package. Comes with a class IV hitch, oil cooler, tranny cooler (auto only), bigger battery, bigger alt, and boosts tow capacity to 6500lbs. Should be fine for your boat!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok so Im leaning towards the sport, I like the hood...what can I say. Im gonna go 4x4 for sure so that and the towing package is an option I will definitely want. I think I read the locker mod could void warranty so I probably wouldn't do that if I had locking diff on a truck. Thats not really a big deal to me, have never used 4lo, although it would be cool to have. I'll probably be like everyone else and go after the silver mica...its my favorite of all the colors for sport...none of which I am falling in love with. Maybe I get the impulse red offroad and put a hood with scoop on it? Doesn't sound like I have many options to consider, which is alright I guess because I don't think I need much else.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Since you're in Syracuse, hit up Burdick Toyota. I was working in Binghamton when I bought the truck. Did everything through phone, fax, and email. No salesman BS, a couple hundred over invoice I think, and had all the options I wanted. Told them what I wanted, they found 2 trucks configured exactly like that in the same color. One auto and one 6spd so I could choose which one I wanted. I swear it was the easiest car purchase ever for me and I visited them only twice. Once for test drive and again to pick it up. No hassles, no arguing. Told them what I wanted, interest rate I wanted, and they did the rest. Couldn't get the rate I wanted, but they went to bat with 12 different loan companies/banks to get the best they could. All without me sitting in a show room for hours on end! :lol: They would just email me at work, and I'd fax back the stuff they needed.

·
Registered
05 Tacoma Sport 4x4
1,025 Posts
ba$$fan said:
Ok so Im leaning towards the sport, I like the hood...what can I say. Im gonna go 4x4 for sure so that and the towing package is an option I will definitely want. I think I read the locker mod could void warranty so I probably wouldn't do that if I had locking diff on a truck. Thats not really a big deal to me, have never used 4lo, although it would be cool to have. I'll probably be like everyone else and go after the silver mica...its my favorite of all the colors for sport...none of which I am falling in love with. Maybe I get the impulse red offroad and put a hood with scoop on it? Doesn't sound like I have many options to consider, which is alright I guess because I don't think I need much else.
Never used 4lo on your Dakota? Boat launching, pulling cars outta ditches, trees outta the ground, or tight trails, go for it. Better on your truck, esp the clutch if your getting a 6spd.

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
demoncleaner said:
Never used 4lo on your Dakota? Boat launching, pulling cars outta ditches, trees outta the ground, or tight trails, go for it. Better on your truck, esp the clutch if your getting a 6spd.
+1

Hell, I use 4LO at my parents' house simply because their driveway and lawn are on a hill. I put it in 4LO, shift to reverse, and let idle back it up the hill. Works good for backing up slowly to hook on a trailer (less clutch/brake/gas work), and keeps it nice and slow on the grass so I don't tear up their lawn. It's a straight shot each way so I don't worry about the wheels binding up and ripping up the grass.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts