Toyota Nation Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
Nah, that engine cover is 3VZ-FE. But you’re right, he just went thru it, so it oughta be good for quite a few miles! And the price is right.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
what is the thing to driver's left of the master cylinder in that photo? Looks like a vertical black cylinder. I've never seen that on a '92~'93 V6 before. Is it something unique to only California?

Also, I have got to say: That is one CRAZY CLEAN looking 27 year old engine room! I want to buy it just to marvel at how nice it looks. :)

Norm

·
11,331 Posts
Something to keep in mind. The only transmissions that are bulletproof in the 3-4th gens are the 5 speed ones for the V6. Since it's your daily, is it a requirement of yours to have it automatic transmission?
Interesting, why? In Scotty's video he's driving an auto Camry with over 300K miles with the original engine and automatic transmission.

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
what is the thing to driver's left of the master cylinder in that photo? Looks like a vertical black cylinder. I've never seen that on a '92~'93 V6 before. Is it something unique to only California?
Hmmm... Didn't notice that. My '92 didn't have that. I think you're right, it's probably something CA-emissions specific.

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts

Also, I have got to say: That is one CRAZY CLEAN looking 27 year old engine room! I want to buy it just to marvel at how nice it looks. :)

Norm
Hmmm... Didn't notice that. My '92 didn't have that. I think you're right, it's probably something CA-emissions specific.
That's the horn for an aftermarket alarm system. But yeah, we do get cars of this vintage stolen a lot here in CA ;)

·
Registered
178 Posts
Huh?

Both V6's had 4 speed autos. Either the A540E with the 3VZ-FE, or the A541E with the 1MZ-FE, for both Gen3 & 4. Both trans are near bullet proof.

The 4 cyl got the A140E throughout both Gens. Also nearly bullet proof.

I was refering to the 5-speed manual E153. Would also leave the option for the OP to boost his Camry in the future if wanted ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,871 Posts
^Ah, gotcha! Those manual transmissions are so rare they don't pop into my mind. Just for amusement, once a month or so I use searchtempest.com to look for Camrys on Craiglists within a 200 mile radius of me. I see about 6 manuals a year.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
Thread hijack: the E53 used in the '92~'93 MT V6 Camrys (note MT wasn't available for '94~'96 V6, and so the E153 wasn't used in the V6 Camry until the Gen4 in '97), anyone know of a good shop to have one rebuilt?

I have one with 200k miles on it, ran fine, but am restoring the car and haven't been able to find someone trustworthy to rebuild it for me. I may simply replace the exterior seals and try for another 200k, but since the topic went this way I thought I'd ask if you had any advice.

Norm

·
Registered
96 Posts
Re the craigslist '93 - Is that windshield washer fluid reservoir stock? Looks like it holds a couple of gallons.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
Yes, it is stock, holds 4.5liters (enough for a 3.8liter/gallon jug of WW fluid, so you don't have a half full jug rolling around in the trunk).
It is, however, preternaturally clean in that photo, which does make it look extra large for some reason.

Note the ones with ABS lost some of that volume to make room for the unit.

Norm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hi Guys,

Thanks again for all of the input! I ended up a purchasing the white Sedan I posted earlier. I'm now the proud owner of a great condition 96' Toyota Camry LE. The owner ended up being a Los Angeles CHP officer all people. Really nice guy, he mentioned he owned it for a little less than a year. He bought it off a family friend that retired and moved to Florida. This thing is mint, considering its age. It's pretty much a time capsule. I posted some pics of the car after I gave it a quick wash and spray wax. I'll post pictures of the interior when I get it cleaned up. The previous owner had these things done to it and had receipts to back it up; (New Radiator, New Tires, New Brakes, Alignment and oil change.tune up). Ended up paying $2,250 for her :grin: included the original manual and a hand written notebook with all of it's maintenance done since 2010 haha!

Additional Information:

Timing Belt Belt and Water Pump were done at 158,000 miles. Currently has 170,000

Attachments

·
short-throw dipstick
5,967 Posts
Man, that would look good as a police interceptor. Congratulations!

Hey, consider using an image hosting service such as imgur to embed your images inline with your text. Also, your site storage will run out quickly compared to external hosting.

·
Premium Member
1993 Camry SE,V6-5MT
428 Posts
...the downside to external hosting is when the original poster discontinues that service some years from now and all images are lost from that thread, making it become useless to the rest of us

21 - 35 of 35 Posts