Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Tundra and I don't have a owners manual. I looked online and found a site that says the towing capacity is 7100 lbs with the towing package. I'm thinking about buying an RV and I was wondering if anyone uses there tundra to pull one. I'm thinking I would like to get about a 23 footer. Also does anyone pull anything bigger. I don't want a 5th wheel. Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
480 Posts
You can get "light weight" trailers more like 27 feet that have a GVW of under 6500lb. My friend has a 2005 4x4 and tows a 26footer all the time with no problems. This is not in the flatlands, but Western mountains. It handles the I-5 "Grapevine", a killer grade, in 100 degree summer heat just fine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Combined Vehicle capacity

I pull a 19 ft trailer with a weight loaded of 4500 lbs.

You need to be aware of the combined vehicle (truck + trailer) capacity which is 11,800 lbs for the Tundra. That means the weight of the truck loaded and trailer loaded cannot exceed this weight. Most experts recommend that you keep well under the maximum capacity for the vehicle and trailer. The Tundra by the way weighs between 4300 and 4500 empty with about 1400-1700 capacity.

When researching my trailer I felt the that 4500lbs for the trailer was the maximum I wanted to consider and it works great!

Good luck with your hunt

Paul

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I Got It

Well I got it, 27 footer that weighs 5280lbs dry. I pulled it home, about 150 miles, not one problem. I was surprised but it handeled it great. Actually, I think I could have pulled more without any trouble.
Toyota all the way!!!

·
D1Boz
122 Posts
Congrats on the RV!!! We have a 2006 Outback 27RSDS which is 29.8 feet long and weighs (dry) 5550 and (Gross) 7500. The backend is a slide and the dinette slides out also. I have pulled it all year with no problems and that is up and down the mountains. I do recommend getting a Prodigy Brake Controller if you dont have one. They are easy to install and works great. We have a 2006 Double Cab Tundra 4X4 and we pull it easily 70 or more down the interstate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone pull a 5th wheel. I have heard never with the Tundra but this was before the 07's.
I also wonder if the 2007 is any better.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts