Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been a member but never really posted much here. Just been browsin around looking mostly. I've been dreaming about gettin a Tacoma for a while now and I'm pretty sure the time has arrived! I'm aiming for this April and I'm hoping some of you can share some advice and help me pick the perfect Tacoma for me. I have some questions I hope you all can answer. Bear with me...

What I want:
09 Tacoma Sport short bed double cab

4x4 or 4x2?
I'll probably be going up to Lake Tahoe maybe 3-4 x's/year mostly during snow season. I don't really see myself riding any off road trails but who knows? Should I get a 4x4? Is 4x4 strictly for off roading cuz if it is, then I probably won't use it to its potential. Help me decide...

Parts/Accessories:
I'd like some side-steps, a rack up top, and possibly a few other things. Would it be cheaper to purchase the truck with the accessories or can I save money doing this afterwords?

JBL audio?
Now I've seen some posts here with people having problems with the system so the question is JBL or no JBL. Also, is the blue tooth a separate option or does this come with the JBL audio system? I guess i can look this up but help my out anyways! Thanks

Must haves:
What are some things you guys suggest is a must have for the Tacoma? Rear-wheel locking differential? Can someone expand on this?

Also, any advice on getting the lowest price on this thing? Anyways, thanks in advance!

·
Banned
1,021 Posts
I've been a member but never really posted much here. Just been browsin around looking mostly. I've been dreaming about gettin a Tacoma for a while now and I'm pretty sure the time has arrived! I'm aiming for this April and I'm hoping some of you can share some advice and help me pick the perfect Tacoma for me. I have some questions I hope you all can answer. Bear with me...

What I want:

4x4 or 4x2?
I'll probably be going up to Lake Tahoe maybe 3-4 x's/year mostly during snow season. I don't really see myself riding any off road trails but who knows? Should I get a 4x4? Is 4x4 strictly for off roading cuz if it is, then I probably won't use it to its potential. Help me decide...

Parts/Accessories:
I'd like some side-steps, a rack up top, and possibly a few other things. Would it be cheaper to purchase the truck with the accessories or can I save money doing this afterwords?

JBL audio?
Now I've seen some posts here with people having problems with the system so the question is JBL or no JBL. Also, is the blue tooth a separate option or does this come with the JBL audio system? I guess i can look this up but help my out anyways! Thanks

Must haves:
What are some things you guys suggest is a must have for the Tacoma? Rear-wheel locking differential? Can someone expand on this?

Also, any advice on getting the lowest price on this thing? Anyways, thanks in advance!
4x4 is the way to go

do them after, the dealer will screw you with the price in most cases

JBL stuff is crap, save the money at the dealer and upgrade to an after market system IMO

you say you will do most driving in the snow so an LSD would be better for you. the locker is nice but is more for off road reasons as shown by the TRD Off Road package
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the replies. actually, i won't be doing most of my driving in the snow. it would actually only be a few times a year if any at all. my current vehicle is a 4x4 and it's a 94 nissan. With that said, I rarely ever used the 4x4 but i don't know. I think it's knowing that i have the option to go 4x4 is what is makin me consider it.

yeah, i think i'll hold off on the jbl. is the blue tooth option a separate option though or does it come with the jbl audio system.

keep up with the advice and i'll keep yall updated on the purchase! thanks again!

·
Registered
2008 4x4 dbl. cab
91 Posts
Good luck.

What I want:
>>I don't think the TRD sport comes with locking differential.

4x4 or 4x2?

>>The gas mileage for a 2WD and 4X4 is the same. Go with the 4x4 and you might end up in Tahoe more often

Parts/Accessories:
I only bought "sidesteps" so my kids could get in without having me pick em up. There is a big difference in sliders that qualify as sidesteps and sliders that will actually deflect boulder hits or that errant concrete gas station pylon.

JBL audio?
My truck is an 08 and I am gutting the whole JBL system. Its crap. The rear door coaxials distort at the slightest thump. I only have the JBL system cause it happened to be in the last 08 4x4 w/TRD Offroad Pkg On the Island.

Must haves:
A must have in my Tacoma is my ass. I love my Taco.

Dealers will always work from MSRP down. Try and work from invoice price up. Take your time Check back and I'll post some invoice prices for you There is no need to pay a dealer more than $800.00 more than the invoice price. Dealers have about 90 days to sell their cars before they have to start "paying" the factory "interest" for having the vehicle. If The dealer tries to get you to pay for their inability to sell the vehicle, screw 'em. They'll keep losing money on the vehicle if no one buys it. It seems some dealerships acts as if there is no end of stupid people who will throw money away on contrivances. It took me three months, 15 test drives and about 10 visits before the sales manager told me to just name my price. It was, however, very clear that I had the means to buy the vehicle on any one of those visits but I just held out they were desperate enough. Show 'em you got the means to buy anytime and then hold out till they cave-in.

Approx. invoice prices: zip code
94602 Oakland.

Base 4x4 double cab short bed
$24,767
Sport pkg.
$2,164
Sport Pkg. w/JBL
$3,038
Running boards
$259
Painted silver tube sidesteps
$290

Right now I would be looking to pay no more that 26,000.00 plus tax, license/documentation, and delivery.
That would be a short bed 4x4 with sport pkg. With the $1,000.00 customer incentive good till 3-31-09
Try and get them to make you an offer first. Let it be high. Look at their documentation and delivery fee.
Make sure when you start to undercut their offer that they don't start jacking up these fees.

Good Luck

·
Premium Member
3,231 Posts
There's no need to pay invoice price! You can do better than that.
First, never, ever say the word "invoice" to a dealer, or you'll give them an opportunity to add BS to the price.

Go to Edmunds or KBB.com and find out what they say invoice price is, including the destination charge. That's the most you should pay right now, before tax, title, and documentation fees. If you apply a cash rebate (usually the incentives are cash or special financing, but not both), subtract it from that number. You might then be able to talk them down another few hundred dollars. I bought mine for about $200 under invoice and another $1000 off for a rebate.

Always give the dealer numbers while you negotiate - again, never say the word "invoice".

As for accessories, if you want OEM accessories, see if the dealer will make you a deal on them as part of the sale on the truck. For example, once you settle on a price, offer to add $x to the price if they'll throw in such-and-such accessories. I'd say $x should be about 50% of what their list price is. That would be a good deal. You can get about 25% off of list from online Toyota parts dealers, although that's usually before shipping costs.

·
Grey
To be determined....
145 Posts
Decide exactly what you want.... 4x4 short bed SR5 ..TRD....

Get internet sales prices from at least 6 dealers. Approx. 87 pct of the sticker/msrp is a good starting point, then subtract off your incentives/cash back.

I bet you can get a great deal. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
Was a 05 Tacoma 4x4 DC LB
14,161 Posts
Sounds like you're in the Sacramento area and you only travel up to Tahoe when the weather's good...another words no more chain controls? If that's the case, then stick with the 2WD. Save the gas and long term maintenance costs.

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
My take:

If you want 2wd... get a car. If you're going to be driving at all in snow, and you have 4wd, you should be using it-period. It only takes one time when you lose control and you'll regret it. 4wd allows you to let off the gas and compression brake without the risk of the back tires breaking lose. I have a friend at work with a new 08 Taco that ate it when he went down a short hill in 2wd. Only took a split second tap on that brake and he lost it and threw his rear axle into a tall curb.

I've had my own close calls, but they've only reinforced my belief to always use 4wd if theres any risk of losing tracking in the snow.

·
Registered
389 Posts
Agree 100%. 4wd is the way to go. It's better to have it and use it a few times then not have it at all and then need it. My truck before this Taco was 2wd. I thought I didn't need 4wd but was wrong. I put a vote in for the 4wd.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
maaaaaan, i keep goin back n forth between 4x4 or no 4x4. now i'm leaning back towards getting a 4x4. this is probably the most important part about the truck too. can someone explain the difference between "limited slip differential" and "locking rear diff" and how each is used and when? thanks!

·
Native Oregonian
07 Tacoma DC LB TRD
785 Posts
maaaaaan, i keep goin back n forth between 4x4 or no 4x4. now i'm leaning back towards getting a 4x4. this is probably the most important part about the truck too. can someone explain the difference between "limited slip differential" and "locking rear diff" and how each is used and when? thanks!

You control a locking diff. Theres a button you push near your steering wheel. You use it when you have troubles with traction and one wheel spins usually because its off the ground. It locks to rotation of both wheels together. NOT TO BE USED ON ROAD. Only when you have traction problems, or you're stuck.

Limited slip (or Posi as some call it) is automatic. If it senses one tire losing traction it automatically transfers the power to the opposite.

If you're not going to be wheeling, you'll be happy with a LSD. Though my only con (IMO) is I think its wearing my tires a bit everytime I turn on pavement while on the gas pedal, I can hear it kicking rocks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts