Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a really nice looking 1999 Tacoma for sale locally and have been needing a truck to tow my utility trailer. I feel like this truck will be perfect since it will get decent MPG as well as have plenty of towing power for me (my TOTAL trailer load is around 1600lbs). The only concern I have with this truck is the high miles. It has 175k miles on it. If you click on the carfax link on the page, you will see that last year the previous owner got ALL the fluids changed (front and rear diffs, transfer case, tranny, etc. etc.). So that makes me feel a bit better. I also feel like I can get this truck for under $6000 since he has it listed for over the KBB value. Let me know what you guys would do! Here is the link

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detai...pp=50&feedSegId=28705&aff=national&listType=1

·
This Space For Rent
13,964 Posts
High mileage is fine if the previous owner maintained the truck properly. It gets decent MPG because it's a 4 cylinder. Not sure how it will do towing your trailer though, maybe someone in the know will chime in for you on that subject. If you can get it for under $6000 I think that would be pretty good.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I figure if I can talk him down to under $6000, it will be a decent deal. If not, then I will just walk away because I am still on the fence about the high miles.

But I would like to hear peoples opinions on towing with the 4 cylinder. I am using a 5x9 TSC utility trailer to tow 2 sport bikes. The combined weight of trailer and bikes is around 1600 lbs. as well. Most sedans can tow that much haha, so I can't imagine this truck having much trouble.

·
Registered
2021 Tacoma TRD Pro
529 Posts
Yeah I figure if I can talk him down to under $6000, it will be a decent deal. If not, then I will just walk away because I am still on the fence about the high miles.

But I would like to hear peoples opinions on towing with the 4 cylinder. I am using a 5x9 TSC utility trailer to tow 2 sport bikes. The combined weight of trailer and bikes is around 1600 lbs. as well. Most sedans can tow that much haha, so I can't imagine this truck having much trouble.
We recently bought a 1997 4-cyl 4x4 with 152K miles for $6000. It looks OK and runs pretty good, with near-new 10.50x31 tires. AC even blows cold air--YAY! Good enough for our purposes: 4-wheeling & junk hauling.

Towing: I would say that that truck wouldn't have much trouble with your trailer at lower elevations and relatively flat terrain. Maybe not so good in the high mountains.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.