Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have wanted a 1980s to early '90s Toyota truck since I was a teenager. I am looking to buy a four-wheel drive version, four-cylinder. The two that I am looking at specifically are a 1991 manual that has 200,000 mi on it with a fresh rebuild. The other one is a 1986 with a automatic transmission and and 146,000 MI original. I found a few two-wheel drive options that are obviously a little cheaper and am considering as well. I'm really trying to stick with the 22R or the 22RE. Any suggestions advice for directions from you that have more knowledge than me? How is the automatic transmission in a 1986? Or would the 1991 manual transmission be better?

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
7,602 Posts
FWIW, I'd lean towards the 91' especially if the rebuild has documentation. The 22's are close to being bullet proof but not exactly powerhouses so the manual transmission would be the big draw for me. Plus easier than an A/T if something should go wrong to fix.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
FWIW, I'd lean towards the 91' especially if the rebuild has documentation. The 22's are close to being bullet proof but not exactly powerhouses so the manual transmission would be the big draw for me. Plus easier than an A/T if something should go wrong to fix.
Thanks so much, that was kind of what I was leaning towards, but helps to have a little insight from someone who has experience. I appreciate you taking the time.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts