Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at buying a used 4 cyl. automatic, RAV4, probably in the 2002 thru 2005 range. Are there any common problems or things to look out for on these vehicles? Is traction control very effective in occasional Ohio snow or should I get four wheel drive, as we have a residentual hill to get up coming home. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I just got my used '06. I regret not having looked around a little more. I am 6'0 and about 250 lbs. This car is just too small for me. It is the least comfortable car I have ever driven. I guess my test drive wasnt long enough for me too realize that there is absolutely no comfortable position for me to drive. The Ravs your cosidering even smaller. So if your larger that average, test drive for more than five minutes!

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have an 01 RAV4 I've had for a little over 5 years. I'm 5'-11" 270 lbs. and I love the car. Comfortable, small but roomy, reliable, quick. Gas mileage about 21.5 mpg (I have a heavy foot). I don't know about traction in snow (I'm in FL), but I can spin the front wheels on a quick start, so I see traction as a problem. Apparently the 4 cylinder engines have a habit of smoking on startup after the car sets a day or so. It's not a big deal (doesn't consume oil) but it sure looks bad (embarassing).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Beware of 06 rav

I got one of the new improved rav 4. What I got was a piece of crap. No good vibration only bad vibrations. I lived in Cleveland for years any frontwheel drive good. When you see one of these new and improved rav's for sale watch out. Stick with the camray its a great car, don't make a mistake that will cost you.

·
Registered
2001 Toyota RAV4
3 Posts
Don't know about the 2002 and newer but I couldn't be happier with my 01 RAV4. I have 219,000 on it right now and the only repairs have been to replace the rear wheel bearings. I've never gotten less than 21mpg ever and highway at a steady 67 or so is 26.5, sometimes even a little better. Don't know if my next vehicle will be another RAV4 or a Tacoma or Sienna. The only thing I know for sure is, it WILL be another Toyota!

Mike

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm with the first reply person. I like the car but I didn't drive it long enough to realize the car is noisy as hell at anything above 45. On the freeway I can bearly hear my son in the back seat. He has to lean forward to talk to me.

I also notice that torque steer is a problem for this little V6. I've had the wheel nearly jerked from my hands a couple of times. My fault for too much throttle but still annoying.

I'm getting about 21 in town and 25 highway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.