Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it common for the shifter cables to stretch or wear out? If I shift slowly and very deliberately, the shifts are okay, but if I shift quickly or sloppily, I get poor shifts and occasional pop out of gear, particularly 4th. Haynes book says no adjustment possible.

If it is common for cables to wear, is there a good source for new cables?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
poping out of gear is a sign the transmission is dieing has nothing to do with the cables the cables either work or there broken, only thing that happens to them are the rubber bushings that go to the shifter mechanism on the transmission, believe it or not standard Roller-blade bearings and fender washers make a good and stiffer replacement!

·
Registered
58 Posts
do some maintence first. Check the clips on the shifter cables and make sure they're all secure. Put some grease in the pivot point of the shifter. Change out the tranny fluid if you haven't did so in a while (I recommend Motul 75W90). Lastly 94_Rolla_Guy is correct, those underhood cable bushings could be worn, when I did my tranny swap the rubber busings were all cracked.. get some brass ones from http://www.speed-source.net they're not expensive and improves shifter feel.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts