Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
One with the farce
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve done some searching but not found one thread with definitive information. I was looking for a replacement trans for my friend’s car, an 06 vibe, which has synchro issues. Based on what I’ve found, the matrix and vibe both use the c59, but are there any other models which use the same trans, or a direct bolt in alternative? It needs to be as direct as possible, not a bastardized swap which needs other parts to work. Thanks.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,220 Posts
You can use a c59 or c60 trans with the fwd vibe. Consider grabbing the c60 from a celica gts. It’s equipped with a lsd from factory. Unless you’re not wanting a lsd. Othwrwise, all will work. C60 also have yellow metal synchros.

·
One with the farce
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hmm. Totally not opposed to it if I don’t have to change anything other than a direct trans swap. Are the axles the same? I’d be fine changing things in my own car but this is someone else’s car.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,175 Posts
I realize there'd be linkage issues but since they were on the other model it might be worth looking at moving up to the 6 speed if they plan on keeping the car.

·
Administrator
マズダスピード3
16,220 Posts
Hmm. Totally not opposed to it if I don’t have to change anything other than a direct trans swap. Are the axles the same? I’d be fine changing things in my own car but this is someone else’s car.
AFAIK, when using the c60 from a celica gts, the shifter cables are longer and sit in the front of the transmission. The shifter shaft will be relocated to the front of the trans also.
For axles, you should be okay to use the same ones from a vibe gt or matrix xrs. All other models using the c60 in North America weren’t optioned with a lsd. If desired, monkey wrench racing sells the trd lsd both new and used/refurbished units. There are also aftermarket options available from Kaaz and possibly Quaife. It’s been a while since I looked into this. Since I no longer own a corolla.

·
One with the farce
3,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the insight. I was under the impression that only the JDM market came with lsd diffs, so that doesn’t bother me if it’s open. It’s for someone else so simple is best lol 😂.

·
Token Aussie
1998 AE102 sedan, 2006 ZZE122 wagon, 2018 ZRE182 hatch
2,630 Posts
AFAIK, when using the c60 from a celica gts, the shifter cables are longer and sit in the front of the transmission. The shifter shaft will be relocated to the front of the trans also.
For axles, you should be okay to use the same ones from a vibe gt or matrix xrs. All other models using the c60 in North America weren’t optioned with a lsd. If desired, monkey wrench racing sells the trd lsd both new and used/refurbished units. There are also aftermarket options available from Kaaz and possibly Quaife. It’s been a while since I looked into this. Since I no longer own a corolla.
You can also convert a Celica C60 to have the shift linkages on the rear of the transmission, it is a bit of a pain though and only really worth it if you can't source a Corolla gearbox

1 - 10 of 10 Posts