Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2000 Camry LE 3.0L V6 with OBD codes P1130 and P1135 that I bought used (so no history...).

The sticker on the hood indicates non-CA emissions, but the OBD codes appear to be specific to CA emissions per the Toyota Factory Repair Manual. Also, when I checked my VIN on the Toyota website it said "CA California Emissions Factory" installed. The front AF/O2 sensor that I can see easily (Bank 2 Sensor 1) has markings "Toyota*89467 41011 Denso 0210 07U27", which according to Toyota Parts website is the correct AF wide range sensor for CA emissions (of course I have no idea when or who installed this sensor or if it's the correct one for the car...). I looked at the*exhaust manifold and front exhaust pipe to see if there were the two additional "warm-up catalytic converters" (WU-TWC) upstream of the main catalytic converter that are present for only the CA emissions, but quite honestly I don't know what they would look like (I see larger diameter "bulges" in the piping that are welded to the adjacent sections where the two WU-TWC would be but no covers or other indication that it's anything other than straight piping...).

Can anyone clarify whether the car is CA or non-CA emissions?
I can upload pix of the exhaust manifold and front exhaust pipe if anyone could verify whether the warm-up catalytic converters are present...

Thanks,

·
Administrator
14,120 Posts
Can you post a pic of the emissions label? It'll say on it whether it has O2 sensors or A/F sensors.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am attaching some pix of the engine, the exhaust manifold outlet and front exhaust pipe, plus the sticker on the hood that says non-Calif. emissions.

Note that the Toyota website says that it is Calif. emissions when I enter the VIN, and OBD scanner outputs codes that are unique to Calif. emissions...

It seems the hood sticker contradicts the VIN/OBD info...

Attachments

·
Administrator
14,120 Posts
On the emissions label, the 4th line where it says “2HO2S, EFI, HO2S” means it has 2 Heated Oxygen Sensors; those are the upstream sensors. And the HO2S means the downstream sensor is also a Heated Oxygen Sensor. You’re correct, it’s got Fed emissions.

The only way it could be wrong is if the hood was replaced with one from another car. Or if the the sticker was replaced after a front-end wreck and someone got the wrong one. Do you see any signs of bodywork on the front end?

·
AllThingsToyotaEnthusiast
Gen 6.5 Camry SE
409 Posts
Also willing to bet that isn't the hood this car came with. Check CarFax or whatever VIN site you prefer for Accident Records. If this car was ever in a repair shop, it will be listed there - unless the repairs were done at home or a shady 'under the table' shop... We have those around here...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies, and I also suspected the hood had been replaced, but there is no visual evidence of a wreck and the VehicleHistory.com check doesn't show any accidents.

I was hoping the pictures of the exhaust components would help, since a CA emissions car should have two warm-up catalytic converters (WU-TWC) upstream of the main one - but I don't know what those look like and whether the separate sections of exhaust pipe I see are just that - separate sections of pipe - or whether they house the WU-TWCs inside them...

Since the VIN indicates CA emissions and the OBD codes from the computer are supposedly specific to the CA emissions models I thought the pictures might give enough information to clarify if it's Calif. or not.

Other than the sticker on the hood, are there any other ways to definitively confirm Calif. emissions? Are OBD scanners typically able to tell you if it is a CA-emissions system? [I have a Actron AutoScanner Plus CP9180]

·
short-throw dipstick
6,242 Posts
The Actron will tell you, go to Datastream and scroll to the very bottom. It'll say "CA" for OBD STAT (I think?) if the ECU is CA-emissions spec.

I could've sworn that CA and fed had the same O2 sensor setup by this point...

·
Administrator
14,120 Posts
I could've sworn that CA and fed had the same O2 sensor setup by this point...
Looking at the table of sensor p/n's in the sticky, that happened in 2001. 2001 w/ V6 and automatic, they both take 234-9021, which is an A/F sensor. Although, I got that info from Denso's online catalog, and it wouldn't be the first time it had an error.

·
short-throw dipstick
6,242 Posts
Looking at the table of sensor p/n's in the sticky, that happened in 2001. 2001 w/ V6 and automatic, they both take 234-9021, which is an A/F sensor. Although, I got that info from Denso's online catalog, and it wouldn't be the first time it had an error.

Makes sense. Well, I'm betting on the hood being changed, or the car being imported into CA and being made emissions-compliant

·
Administrator
14,120 Posts
Another thing to look at is the sensor connector. Here are pics from the Denso website. See how the keying is different looking a the connectors face-on? The number of nubs and the sides they're on is different. I bet you can't force the wrong one to mate, unless you used a hammer or vise grip.

A/F Sensor 234-9009 looks like this:

O2 sensor 234-4622 looks like this:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts