Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after a few years, I decided to put in a cabin air filter in my '05 (thanks to Dante for the info on cheap filters, by the way). I had another issue in the past with mice building nests in my blower cage during the winter. Well, hoping for the best, but finding the worst, I checked my cabin filter today, after trapping 2 mice lately in the engine compartment. You guessed it...they had build a big nest on top of the filter, of course not getting down into the blower cage. Pulled the trash out, naturally some fell down into the blower...had to remove that also.

Point being, if a critter WAS building nests in your blower, and you put in a filter, they are just gonna take up building on the filter. Guess I'll not put filters in during the winter, since that's when I get the nest building activity (and will be setting out traps more frequently).

·
Premium Member
2,530 Posts
Guess I'll not put filters in during the winter, since that's when I get the nest building activity (and will be setting out traps more frequently).
But, if they are building on the filter, that's on the dirty side, and you are breathing the clean(er) air. Don't put a filter in, and you are breathing the mouse's nest, and all the other assorted nastiness associated with it.

your choice, but I'd sure keep the filter in.

·
Registered
617 Posts
Don't put a filter in and he will be in the blower. Probably would be a great smell to deal with when the blowers turned on and mouse is there.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I found a mouse nest in the engine air filter on a Toyota motorhome I bought years ago. Those mice can wreck havoc on a car.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Mice and nests in my blower fan are nothing new...been fighting them for a few years now. When the blower sounds a bit out of balance, I just drop the blower, clean out the nest (and dead, centrifuged mice on a few occasions) stick it back in and wait for the next ones to build a nest. Mouse traps slow them down quite a bit. I tried the filter for dusty roads, but the mice are worse than the roads, so out come the filters. As for putting in a new filter, as I said in the OP, if I remove a "nested" filter, a lot of the crud falls down into the blower anyway, so it's just easier to remove only one thing, the blower, not the filter AND the blower. BTW, stuff still gets through those filters.

If you don't live in the country like us, then the mouse problem is not usually an issue. And, no...we're not getting a cat.

·
Registered
86 Posts
How are they getting in there?
Couldn't you fabricate a piece of rat wire to cover their entry point and stop any of this from happening?
Stainless steel wool will stop them too.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
How are they getting in there?
Couldn't you fabricate a piece of rat wire to cover their entry point and stop any of this from happening?
Stainless steel wool will stop them too.
A year or two ago, I located a small opening along where the inside of the top fender channels meet the corners of the firewall, behind the gasket. I coiled up some stainless wire the size of baling wire and stuffed in there. Worked for a while until they found another way...who the hell knows WHERE they are getting in now. Pretty tenacious little bastards; they will get in one way or another, just give them time. I even found a partially eaten, crumbled Cheeto on the backseat floorboard, so they were able to not only get into the filter area and ductwork, but out into the open cab area! They can have all the Cheetos they want if they will just leave my wiring alone! Been lucky so far; no chewed wiring that I can see (what I can't see is what bothers me).

I plan on trying to cut 'n fit some 1/2" hardware cloth (hail screen, we call it) over every opening I can find in the engine compartment. No way I'm gonna put out mouse poison like D-Con and then let them die and stink in my ductwork.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Ozarkie, you're band-aiding the problem. Don't be stuffing screen in all those holes, it won't work. Put a mesh screen over the cabin air intake like in this thread:
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd-gen-tacomas/89878-made-pre-cabin-air-filter.html

This picture below is your cabin air intake box just below the windshield. It's where they're entering. Cover it properly and they'll never get in. If you need help on removing the cowl to get to this, just ask. Remove both wipers, a couple of push clips, and a few screws (IIRC) and you'll be there. I'll even go out and refresh my memory on how to remove it to give you more detailed instructions if needed. I'd rather we help you fix it now and prevent them from ever entering your cabin again than to see you go through this over and over.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow! That intake looks like the Grand Canyon. Yes, I will work on getting the cowl off and covering that. I will let you know if I have problems getting the cowl off. Thanks for the picture...says a thousand words!

·
Registered
4 Posts
About 3 years ago, I had the same problem with mice getting into my blower motor. I was cleaning that thing out every few weeks. Called the dealership and they offered no help. Basically told me to get a cat and there was no way to stop mice from getting in. I brought my truck to a great local garage and he put hardware cloth over the cabin air intake. I haven't had a problem since. So I fully agree with other posters that the mice are getting in by the air intake. It should have had a screen from the factory. Other than that, its been a great truck. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
My wife complained about an awful smell in our 04 Solara convertible on a hot July day. Flies were congregating in the car and at the cowl outside. I pulled the air filter out and what was left of a dead mouse family fell into the blower cage which I also removed and washed. What a mess! Thanks to my shop vac, getting the remains out was easy, the stench was another issue. spraying extra strength, odorless Febreze helped alot. Two months later, it still smells a bit stale in the car, but it could be my imagination, so I got one of those scent things. I wouldn't wish this task on anyone!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I don't know how the Solara air intake system is set up, but this is how I solved the problem in my '05 Tacoma (thanks to 05Moose!). I was constantly getting mice and nests in the blower assy. Since I put the screen over the intake...no mice since. The air intake is about 4" x 11" and opens directly over the blower fan and cabin air filter if you have one. The access to the intake on the Tacoma is just under the cowling below the windshield.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Screen Size

Before choosing mesh to cover your interior air intake you might need to know that a mouse can squeeze through a hole 1/4" in size - about the diameter of a pencil eraser! If their head can fit they can squeeze their body through.

They are crafty and resourceful.

·
My Other Truck
3,786 Posts
Hey twsutt, welcome to TN! I know mice can squeeze through very small openings but never would have thought they could go through holes that small unless they're babies. Happy to say I have no mouse problems but if I ever need to add that screen, I'll use 1/8" hardware cloth. Should stop everything except insects.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Before choosing mesh to cover your interior air intake you might need to know that a mouse can squeeze through a hole 1/4" in size - about the diameter of a pencil eraser! If their head can fit they can squeeze their body through.

They are crafty and resourceful.
That probably would be juvenile mice. The dozens of adults I have trapped the past couple of years had larger heads.;)

And, the hardware cloth (we called it hail screen) in the picture has done the trick!! Not a mouse in the Taco since I installed it!! I got lucky and didn't have a mouse problem this winter. Last winter, I trapped 12 in a row, one day at a time in my wife's car. That was AFTER the little b*stards did $1000 worth of damage to the computer wiring...shorted out.

BTW, welcome to the forum. Noticed you were in Cypress. We used to live in Spring; retired to the Ozarks. Heaven on earth.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Wow, 4" x 11"? That's a huge hole! Did you have to drill holes around the lip, to have a place for the zip ties to go?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Wow, 4" x 11"? That's a huge hole! Did you have to drill holes around the lip, to have a place for the zip ties to go?
There were a couple of holes there, and I drilled a couple. You can see two of the existing holes on the front of the vent. Very easy fix. Any screen would work, just make sure it's metal, not plastic or they will chew through it. The vent opening is WIDE OPEN to the blower fan and you can see directly down inside of it. That was like a cavern for mice; very easy to get into the fan area.

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
With as much of a problem mice are in the various models, you'd think they would add a screen. But maybe that's a cost/weight savings that's worth it to them. I remember my '72 Rx2 had a screen over its cabin air intake. They just don't make em like they used to.:lol:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
With as much of a problem mice are in the various models, you'd think they would add a screen. But maybe that's a cost/weight savings that's worth it to them. I remember my '72 Rx2 had a screen over its cabin air intake. They just don't make em like they used to.:lol:
With auto mfg. labor costs these days, the screen would probably only cost 5 cents, but the labor to install it would probably be $20 or some outrageous number. :rolleyes:

I'm just thankful there was a post on this forum that showed the gaping hole and how to patch it!!

1 - 20 of 89 Posts