Toyota Nation Forum banner

41 - 60 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Perfect, I'll check it out. I haven't taken possession of the vehicle yet but I think it will be the first thing I do! I'm looking forward to my Toyota! I've always been a Honda guy but the Sienna converted me...

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Yeah, don't click the hashtag links. AutoGuide enabled their software to think the hashtags for post numbers are hyperlinks instead of simply being a number sign. Guess we can all blame Twitter for using a symbol with another meaning. Imagine if they'd used a quote instead of the hashtag. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Well, your post above is #42 on page 3 of the thread. Go back to page 1 and you'll find post [URL=http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=13]#13 [/URL] .
Come on, I am not a complete idiot. I at least knew what a hash tag was. My kids are amazed at that one.

Yeah, don't click the hashtag links. AutoGuide enabled their software to think the hashtags for post numbers are hyperlinks instead of simply being a number sign.
Yeah, I was cleverly thinking clicking it would take me to post #13 , save me doing all that going back work that Ozarkie was mentioning. Instead, I got some weird page full of hashtags that was really quite useless to me.

Thanks Moose for the gently guidance that I wasn't a complete idiot for hoping it would do what it should. And thanks Ozarkie for clarifying what you wanted me to do. What I really expected however, was that you had cleverly coded the hyperlink to a different thread, post #13 , into the shortURL hyperlink.

Any way, I got there, I still don't have mice in my cabin filter or my intake, but I keep an eye on this one, since the El Nino headed our way may send small furry animals to seek higher drier ground.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
RTFM, don't feel bad. I don't do hashtags, twitter, facebook, linkedin, etc. Don't need it, don't want it, probably never will. Does that sound Neanderthal????? I'm happy and have lots more free time not screwing with all that. :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
To keep future rats out of the A/C lift up the plastic covering that the windshield wipers go thru you will see the air intake with no screen over it. You can make a screen cover out of 1/4 inch hardware cloth ( 1/4 inch wire mesh) fold down the edge of the hardware cloth to keep it on the intake. This will keep the rodents out and solve the rodent in the heater box problem

·
Registered
77 Posts
Not sure if anyone knows this but Toyota, been told, uses soy as an ingredient in their wire insulators. Supposedly better for the environment. Make a nice tasty snack for the mice. Rat poison is your friend if you don't have any pets around.

·
Registered
91 Posts
i found a cheap way to solve this problem. i use peppermint oil it drives them crazy and it dosenot smell bad. in fact it makes the truck smell like Christmas.

·
Registered
77 Posts
i found a cheap way to solve this problem. i use peppermint oil it drives them crazy and it dosenot smell bad. in fact it makes the truck smell like Christmas.
My solution would be to get rid of the mice/rats at all costs. You can't apply that everywhere on the truck and they will eventually decide to knaw on some electrical wiring. We had a Sienna van in the shop which the inside had to be gutted to find an electrical issue that cost the owners thousands. They had put live traps inside the van to humanly capture the mice. After they paid there bill I bet you the rat poison came out.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
I did the screen mod last summer (posted a photo gallery), just because I had a weird smell coming in a couple of times. Couldn't find any evidence of mice.

·
Premium Member
965 Posts
Not sure if anyone knows this but Toyota, been told, uses soy as an ingredient in their wire insulators. Supposedly better for the environment. Make a nice tasty snack for the mice. Rat poison is your friend if you don't have any pets around.
Nissan (and maybe others) make a wiring harness wrap that's impregnated with capsaicin, that's supposed to keep varmints from chewing.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Mouse "back door" closed

Well, after I put the screen over the large air intake, I thought the mouse/rat problem was over.....wrong! They built a huge nest inside the air breather plenum. I took the cover off to check my air filter and it was packed with nesting material and acorns. I took a circular piece of the 1/2" hail screen (hardware cloth) like I used on the large air intake and stuffed it into the opening of the air intake tube. No more nests.:smile:

[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well, after I put the screen over the large air intake, I thought the mouse/rat problem was over.....wrong! They built a huge nest inside the air breather plenum. I took the cover off to check my air filter and it was packed with nesting material and acorns. I took a circular piece of the 1/2" hail screen (hardware cloth) like I used on the large air intake and stuffed it into the opening of the air intake tube. No more nests.:smile:
No more nests in your plenum but they will just hide in other parts of the van. The only solution is to exterminate the problem.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Our SunBelt parts warehouse has all Air Filters you need, with fast shipping and great prices! We will help you find the right replacement air filter that will perfectly fit your small engine.

Getting a small engine air filter is essential because they don't run without them. If you have an outdoor equipment like lawn mower, snow thrower, tractor or any other, Sunbelt Parts Warehouse is the right place where you can find air filters. An aftermarket air filter comes in the right style and shape for your small engine. Different types of machines can use these filters, from lawn mowers and snow blowers to ATV's and other outdoor machines. So make sure keeping the small engine air filters of your outdoors in the best shape possible and replacing them when they're not.

Your Briggs & Stratton lawn or snow equipment get you through the seasons with a nice looking lawn and a clear snow-free driveway and sidewalk. However, your Briggs & Stratton small engine outdoor power equipment is only as good as the way you take care of your engines. Be sure you change your small engine air filters frequently with our full line of Briggs & Stratton Air Filters. Whether for your snow blower, rider mower, or push mower, we have it all.
Moderators need to.remove this.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
No more nests in your plenum but they will just hide in other parts of the van. The only solution is to exterminate the problem.
If you've read through my other posts regarding the mouse/rat problem, you'll find that I also use poison blocks and traps. Reason: they would also build nests in the open parts of the engine compartment.

Knock on wood....so far this winter, I haven't had any mouse or rat problems. Maybe I got rid of all the female critters.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had this issue on an '81 p/u, a '92 Corolla, a '00 Tundra, and now a '13 Rav4. Hope I can find the point of entry. Unbelievable that Toyota doesn't address this in otherwise fine vehicles.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I've had this issue on an '81 p/u, a '92 Corolla, a '00 Tundra, and now a '13 Rav4. Hope I can find the point of entry. Unbelievable that Toyota doesn't address this in otherwise fine vehicles.
That statement won't hold water! Every vehicle ever built has "holes" in it. My wife's Chrysler had the same problem. Don't blame Toyota, blame Mother Nature.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Huh, I had no idea the mouse problem was so unsolvable. It has been a big plague for us. It really can almost ruin a vehicle if it gets out of hand.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts