Toyota Nation Forum banner

81 - 89 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
I di

Happy to say the smell is so well removed if I were to sell the car nobody would notice anything enough to ask, if I were to run the blower with them in the car.:smile:
Update to my method of cleaning evaporator core with bleach. VERY VERY BAD IDEA! I have corroding screws all around this area where I splashed bleach. Also three plug blocks underneath have some very visible signs of corrosion. Blue green contacts.

Cleaning methode was probably ok. But I would highly dissuade getting bleach anywhere near the electronics inside your car!

I'm having a no crank situation right now. Made a few comment's in a couple of threads related to that.
https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-camry-5th-6th-gen-2002-2006-2007-2011-2nd-gen-solara-2004-2008/1625006-cranks-sometimes-tries-somewhat-but-won-t-start.html

https://www.toyotanation.com/forum/104-camry-5th-6th-gen-2002-2006-2007-2011-2nd-gen-solara-2004-2008/780786-2004-camry-no-start-problem.html#post13899694

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts
Update to my method of cleaning evaporator core with bleach. VERY VERY BAD IDEA! I have corroding screws all around this area where I splashed bleach. Also three plug blocks underneath have some very visible signs of corrosion. Blue green contacts.

Cleaning methode was probably ok. But I would highly dissuade getting bleach anywhere near the electronics inside your car!

The bleach probably wasn't a bad idea, not rinsing afterward was.

A nice mix is acidified bleach (recipes on many home brew sites), followed by a rinse. Much less devastating than raw bleach, kills crud better.

·
Registered
42 Posts
The bleach probably wasn't a bad idea, not rinsing afterward was.

A nice mix is acidified bleach (recipes on many home brew sites), followed by a rinse. Much less devastating than raw bleach, kills crud better.
Never heard of acidified bleach I will look that up.

Did rinse the evaporator coil really good. Might want to go back in the tread and read how I did this.

Essentially I stuck a hose with a stubby spray nozzle on the end of it into the evaporator housing, along with a hose I hooked to my shop vac. Got the idea from how dentist's clean fluid out of mouths as they are grinding on teeth and what not.

Worked really well. After I got done I could tell something was still off but I doubt anybody else could have.

Problem was that there was a plug block just under where the fan bolts up to the heater core. Some fluid splashed out of there. My fear is I got a little bit of the 10 to 1 bleach solution on the plug block.

And that is my warning to anyone doing this. Be very careful to move any of the wiring far enough out of the way that it can't get splashed.

Still don't know how good of an idea it is to have bleach anywhere near car's wiring. No matter how careful you are. Don't know weather it's worth the risk.

Has to be other disinfectants that are not so corrosive?

·
Premium Member
2,532 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Every disinfectant comes with some side issue, Hydrogen peroxide, iodine, etc., all trade off something.

And no, I didn't track down your original post on the bleach to see that you rinsed.
It's on page 5 of this same thread "Cabin air filters and MICE!"

Thanks for the link. I'll look into this.

My guess is the combined products such as vinegar and bleach have a synergistic effect. Star-san seems to be more for brewing equipment where you want to leave a residue that is safe to consume. I'm thinking for any other application bleach and vinegar would be fine?

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Well, add me to the list. Since the Moose now lives outside, my electric trap in the garage is not doing any good keeping them away from the Moose (although I’ve caught 4 mice in the garage in the last few weeks bringing the total to 8 since spring). They stole insulation from the engine cover and who knows where else. They also ate thru the HVAC plastic rod that goes across the top where the two foam flaps seal up against when on recirc. So now there’s a two inch gap when on recirc that allows fresh air in.

Took some leftover metal screen (from when I covered the back of the BBQ because rats chewed thru its cover and wiring and nested there). Attached it to the opening and then use construction adhesive/sealant to seal off all the edges.

Then reinstalled my rain shield over that. Wish I’d done screen when I installed the rain shield. My reusable cabin filter helped keep them from going in further. They chewed on it a bit before stopping. Insulation was filled in all the way to the top of the inlet.

The new gap on recirc allowing fresh air in:

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #87 (Edited)
Mouse problem

Moose, sorry to see the mice have attacked your "Moose". I saw the metal sheeting over your fresh air vent. What's that for? Didn't the wire mesh work for you. Since I installed the 1/2" mesh on the cowling vent and the round air inlet for the engine air filter, I haven't had a mouse get inside.

My bad...I went back and re-read your post. The sheet is the rain shield, right? Does it restrict air flow into the truck any?

·
Premium Member
13,958 Posts
Moose, sorry to see the mice have attacked your "Moose". I saw the metal sheeting over your fresh air vent. What's that for? Didn't the wire mesh work for you. Since I installed the 1/2" mesh on the cowling vent and the round air inlet for the engine air filter, I haven't had a mouse get inside.

My bad...I went back and re-read your post. The sheet is the rain shield, right? Does it restrict air flow into the truck any?

No, it bows out over the top. It’s at least a couple inches above the opening, so plenty of room for air to get in. Way larger than the small tube the blower fan pushes the air into. I would have done the mesh sooner if I didn’t already have my aluminum shield there to solve the two times I got water into my blower.

·
My Other Truck
3,787 Posts
Damn rodents!! Sorry to see the damage they did to your truck. We have 'em in the woodshed -- they aggravate our dogs and eat pears in our backyard tree but that's all. Between dogs and traps, we killed several last year. This year they have outsmarted us so far.

81 - 89 of 89 Posts