Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
What am I doing wrong ?
Drove our 21 HL Hybrid the other day in -30c (-22 F) and it barley made any heat. The cabin never warmed up at all. The Eco Heat was turned off.
I posted in the regular gas HL forum (I’m new here) about a winter front grill cover but it seems nobody else is having heat issues, and they don’t seem to even make winter front grill covers for these things.

Any idea’s how I can get heat out of this thing in cold winter temperatures ?
Does anyone else here have issues with cabin heat in the cold ?
Thanks !

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
1,306 Posts
No issues with 21 HiHy, this past week up in Mammoth Lakes with 2 dumps of snow in a week. Even driving back, wearing a hoodie, had no issues with cabin heat.

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Limited AWD
119 Posts
Of course, it's nowhere near Canada or east coast weather here in Northern CA. But, it's been in the 40's at night here recently. And, I've thought the HiHy has gotten warm inside really fast. The only downside is that the engine has to run longer and my fuel economy has taken a little hit....from averaging 40 mpg to 35-36 mpg.

·
Registered
814 Posts
I posted in the regular gas HL forum (I’m new here) about a winter front grill cover but it seems nobody else is having heat issues, and they don’t seem to even make winter front grill covers for these things.
I believe the hybrid already has an active radiator grill shutter to increase fuel economy - less aerodynamic drag when cooling isn't needed. Maybe yours is malfunctioning or stuck in open position?

·
Registered
Highlander Hybrid 2020
500 Posts
-30C is pretty cold... just the surface of the cabin will drain a lot of heat, so trying to get heat from an efficient engine is going to be a challenge. You have to understand that the goal of the hybrid powertrain if to get as much useful work (moving the vehicle) instead of wasted heat. The efficiency is around 40% in good condition, so there is only 60% of waste heat.

Heated seats makes a significant difference from my perspective. Getting heat to your body through direct contact is more efficient than putting heat in air and then air in high volume.

jf
PS: where are you from? I did -27C in middle of the night many year ago, but normally at -30 I stay home put wood in the fireplace!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,
What am I doing wrong ?
Drove our 21 HL Hybrid the other day in -30c (-22 F) and it barley made any heat. The cabin never warmed up at all. The Eco Heat was turned off.

Any idea’s how I can get heat out of this thing in cold winter temperatures ?
Does anyone else here have issues with cabin heat in the cold ?
Thanks !
Hi CBvert, I'm not sure what "eco heat" is, but the Highlander will not prioritize heat unless you're in normal or sport driving mode. Try driving in sport for a trip and see if you make more heat. Mine will not warm up very well at all if the "driving mode" is in eco.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Product Communication Device Gadget Font Line

Hi CBvert, I'm not sure what "eco heat" is, but the Highlander will not prioritize heat unless you're in normal or sport driving mode. Try driving in sport for a trip and see if you make more heat. Mine will not warm up very well at all if the "driving mode" is in eco.
Thanks for the replies everyone. We have some cold weather coming again in the next few days, so I will try everyone’s suggestions to see what works.
Attached is a picture of the Eco Heat/Cool button on the 12.3 “ screen (not my picture). I’ve been told to make sure that is selected off to increase cabin heat as the Eco mode will only heat or cool occupied seats to increase fuel economy.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid (CDN)
485 Posts
Heat needs to be cranked up way higher then 72 (I assume that is obvious). Everything Auto needs to be turned off. Turn Auto Fan OFF (I usually have this to 3/4 max). Turn the AC AUTO off. Turn ECO Heat/Cool OFF. Heated seats on. Heated steering wheel on.

I put heat to the windshield or windshield/feet. I drive in -30C temps, no problem. It gets so hot in our 2020 HiHiy Highlander. I can smoke the kids out in the back too lol because it gets too hot.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Heat needs to be cranked up way higher then 72 (I assume that is obvious). Everything Auto needs to be turned off. Turn Auto Fan OFF (I usually have this to 3/4 max). Turn the AC AUTO off. Turn ECO Heat/Cool OFF. Heated seats on. Heated steering wheel on.

I put heat to the windshield or windshield/feet. I drive in -30C temps, no problem. It gets so hot in our 2020 HiHiy Highlander. I can smoke the kids out in the back too lol because it gets too hot.
It doesn't matter if you set the desired temperature at 72 or 100 you'll get the exact same amount of heat in the same amount of time until the cabin reaches the set temperature. Taking the fan off auto and setting it at 3/4 max just ensures you'll be blowing cold air around the passenger compartment regardless of heat available.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Highlander Platinum Hybrid (CDN)
485 Posts
It doesn't matter if you set the desired temperature at 72 or 100 you'll get the exact same amount of heat in the same amount of time until the cabin reaches the set temperature. Taking the fan off auto and setting it at 3/4 max just ensures you'll be blowing cold air around the passenger compartment regardless of heat available.
Ya not my experience at all unless of course I park outside then that is true. Going from a heated garage to -30C, that is exactly what I do and there is too much heat.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I find my HiHy warms up pretty quickly (looking at the engine temp gauge) and isn't bad at heating the cabin. If I am in stop-and-go traffic in the cold the temp gauge lowers to almost cold before the engine starts. If in ECO mode the blower speed slows down when the engine shuts down. -30C is colder than I have been in yet, -10C has been the coldest so far.

·
Registered
129 Posts
No. Disagree. This HL hybrid doesn’t work that way. Neither does my ‘12 V6 RAV4. If you want max heat, turn the temp all the way up to “high” if you have Automatic HVAC. The only car I’ve ever owned (2 in fact) that would pump out max heat (or A/C) in auto mode until the interior reached the set temp were Volkswagens.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander XLE Hybrid
10 Posts
Make sure you have cabin air on 'recirculate' so you are heating warm air rather than -30C air. At least until you are warmed up enough.

·
Registered
2021 Highlander Hybrid
24 Posts
It was -30c for multiple days and I left the HVAC set at 21.5C in Auto mode the hole time and the HiHi was heating up way faster than my Audi and Subaru. I did not override the recirc or anything, and was driving in normal mode. After about 10 minutes I would have to take my coat. Sounds like you might need a visit to the dealer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts