Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
camry 96
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 96 camry 5sfe and i want a cai but i dont want anyone that is unheard of. what i really want is a aem v2 but who doesnt. someone needs to tell aem this. ne ways deos ne one know if you can make a 4th gen intake fit the 3rd gen because they look kinda alike. if any one knows if any of the brand name co make cai or short ram for this camry then notify me please.

·
Registered
785 Posts
nobody makes a CAI for the 96 camry 5sfe, i should know this, i have a short ram intake, if you're gonna get it, be sure to stop the engine air/heat from going into your intake.... make a home made heatshield like i did... i'll show a picture as soon as imageshacks website starts working.

camry 96
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks. i have also heard great reviews for the dragon weapon r intake and have found one for the right price and i would like to see your heat shield and how u did it .

·
Registered
785 Posts
well, that site isnt working, but i got it on my site, here it is

http://groups.msn.com/Mickeysdayout/gradparty.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=55

and i gotta tell you, i live here in southern oregon, and the past month or two has gotten close to the 100's.... and my engine got really bogged down, even worse than the stock intake on some days.... then i found that site, and made that thing, and i havent been bogged down yet, and i'm not even done 100% yet, i have to get some foam insulation stuff around it and it will be good.

·
Current title:
253 Posts
^^^^^
absolutely ingenious:lol: great link bro though it was a honda..a freaking rubbermaid trashcan:lol:

if ur looking for a cai..like every1 said diy, tons of info on tn search

go over to ur local pepboys or autozone..look at the intakes they got..im using a short ram for a civic..took a hacksaw to it and bought a filter

it was a short ram but same concept for a cai..home depot sells flexible aluminum heat ducting for like 5 bucks..

1) mock up and design a plan..i.e. figure out exactly what ur gonna do..use google and tn search and look at other peeps cars to get ideas and know exactly where ur going
2) scope out and buy all necessary parts & tools if necessary, imagination is key(don't be afraid to look at parts for other cars or houses for that matter~!!!)
3) get to it, it may look ugly but first trys rarely come out perfect have a friend on hand for trips to homedepot for forgotten parts..

the satisfaction of knowing u did it urself is enormous :thumbup:

·
Registered
785 Posts
the thing is, the camry engine compartment from the throttle body to the intake pipe underneath the fuses, reqiueres a special type of pipe, and the ones in the store that ive seen are like straight pipes.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I kinda have a solution to this if you want to call it that. I have the weapon-r dragon intake which I really like. Anyways I got that along with the air shield and put a 3 inch pipe onto it and ran it under the fuses just barely into the fender well. This allows it to pick up cold air without having any problems with water. It seems to work well.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
One problem I see with running an airfilter in the wheel well is the amount of dust and crap that gets circulated in there.
The filter coats quick and wala....restrictive airflow.

·
Registered
785 Posts
a small one
i should have gone with the slightly bigger one, but oh well, that blocks the heat from the side, i just need to buy some foam things to go over the top to seal the other stuff from getting in.

·
Registered
785 Posts
just be sure you cut a little at a time, re fit till it looks good.... where the battery sits, theres a 2 inch gap, that i thought could be possible xtra air, so i cut it diaginaly so that it would let air to get through thr battery but not from the engine...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts