Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Wazzaaap!
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dont know if it was talked about before, but I saw this in the summit racing catalog and came across a bendable intake tube made by Akimoto.

http://www.racingsportsakimoto.com/prod_spiralflex.php

Has anybody tried using this for their DIY CAI? It saves a ton of work. The tube must be ribbed or something to allow for bending. This will create turbulence and slow down the velocity of the air. However, Akimoto claims the it has a spiral design to create a uniform circular flow pattern.

Just thought this was cool so state your opinions on this.

·
Registered
Camry
1,463 Posts
I do not recommend flexible tubing at it pulses. Pulsing is when the hose contracts when pressure drops as air is flows into your combustion causing your flex tubing to compress/contract. As pressure equalizes, the hose will expand and slow down or even for a split second stop or reverse flow. Multiply this by the times your intake valves open and close. You don't want anything being drawn back through your intake from combustion chamber side. It reduces the effectivness of scavanging.
Loses power and wastes fuel.

Go rigid. But thats just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
^^Dude how's that PVC workin out... I could see a definite weight advantage over aluminum/stainless steel but isn't it known for giving off toxic fumes when heated? Has that been an issue? Just curious...

Steve

·
限界域への独&#
605 Posts
I say get the aluminum stuff from eBay. Good PVC is actually pretty heavy compared to thin wall aluminum. You can't polish PVC either :)

·
eeto........?
580 Posts
i herad about some piping call SS Aluminum? or SS sth else... but those are high grade piping... try those...but it'll cost u a bit more

·
Mad Scientist
94 scepter coupe
3,955 Posts
^^Dude how's that PVC workin out... I could see a definite weight advantage over aluminum/stainless steel but isn't it known for giving off toxic fumes when heated? Has that been an issue? Just curious...

Steve
actually it's working great so far i'm using the thin wall pvc and i plan to add isulation to it to keep the air cooler. as for fumes i think that's a myth cause i don't seem to have that problem.

also since the pipe is 3inches in diameter compared to the 2 inch diameter of the maf it acts as a cai aswell as a ram air intake. it also made the car quieter when accelerating

1 - 14 of 14 Posts