Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased one of the early 2002 Toyota Prius hybrids in late October 2001. I waited 6-months for delivery on this vehicle. I've recently discovered that the warranty was extended in California from 10-yr/100,000 to a 15-yr/150,000 miles! Great news. I'm curious since I delivery was delayed of my Prius into mid 2002, when does my warranty actually go into effect? I'm currently having an issue with my electrical/possibly an inverter/converter that I have been unable to ascertain, I'm trying to sort out on my own to avoid dealer costs, and if this is possibly a warrantied item, I'd like to to take it to a dealer. Any help?

Thanks, :wink:

·
6,619 Posts
It is not Ca only warranty.
It is CARB states warranty.
It is for hybrid battery only.
There are very specific conditions that have to be fulfilled in order for that coverage to be valid.
Warranty starts from the time vehicle was sold.

·
6,619 Posts
HV Battery in California is 10yr/150k
MG1/MG2 is 15yr/150k
Inverter/IPM is 10yr/150k
Coolant Control Valve (sets DTC P1121) is 15yr/150k

if you provide reference to that, I'll post it in FAQs for everyone's use. As CARB states based their extended warranty based on CA and every source I found said battery only.
Thank you.

·
Registered
2016 Avalon Limited
58 Posts
Give me a bit to try to find the Warranty Policy breakdown without just linking the entire document :laugh:

·
6,619 Posts
https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/warranty.pdf

Says "battery or other storage device".

hybrid battery pack comes with an 8-year/80,000-mile warranty, or a 10-year/150,000-mile warranty if you happen to live in California, or a dozen other states, as well as the District of Columbia.

Hybrid Vehicle System
Hybrid System Warranty coverage is for eight years or 100,000 miles, whichever occurs first, and covers the following components: Hybrid control module, Hybrid battery control module, Hybrid battery and inverter with converter.

·
Registered
2016 Avalon Limited
58 Posts
Look up the Owners' Letter for the Customer Support Program ZE3 - it states IPM has 15/150k in CARB states.

In these vehicles, Toyota has received some reports where the Intelligent Power Module (IPM) located inside the inverter assembly of the hybrid system may fail. This condition is indicated by hybrid system diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs): P0A94, P324E, P3004, and/or P0A1A. If one or more of these DTCs are detected, various warning lamps on the instrument panel will also illuminate and the vehicle will enter fail safe mode.

Although the Hybrid Inverter assembly is covered by Toyota’s New Vehicle Limited Warranty for 8 years or 100,000 miles (whichever occurs first), we at Toyota care about the customers’ ownership experience. Toyota is now extending the warranty coverage for repairs related to failure of the Intelligent Power Module (IPM). Please see the Warranty Enhancement Program Details for additional information.

Note: For California-certified vehicles sold, registered, and normally operated in Arizona (12MY only), California, Connecticut, Maine, Maryland (beginning with 11MY), Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (10MY-11MY only), New York, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Vermont, the Toyota New Vehicles Limited Warranty coverage is 15 years from the date of first use, or 150,000 miles (whichever occurs first).
Edit: I'll spend some time tomorrow on TIS and try to find some more evidence of stated warranties - I know MG1/MG2 has 15yr/150k as well since I've replaced a couple of them. Same as Coolant Control Valves (Look up T-SB-0231-12, it states 180mo/150k miles)

·
6,619 Posts
2010-2014 Prius Inverter/Converter IPM warranty enhancement – P0A94, P324E, P3004, and/or P0A1A

Toyota recently released a warranty enhancement for 2010-2014 Prius, extending the coverage of the inverter/converter Intelligent Powertrain Module. What does this mean for an owner?
If you own a 2010-2014 Prius you’ll be getting a letter from Toyota explaining the situation. They’ve seen an unusually high failure rate of the inverter/converter that controls the high voltage for the hybrid drive system. The inverter/converter is an important piece of electronics in your car – without it, you’re stuck.
So what exactly are they covering? They’re replacing the inverter/converter if it fails, but only for a handful of very specific reasons. If your car breaks down and the inverter fails, Toyota will replace it for free under the warranty if you have the following error codes:
P0A94 – DC/DC Converter Performance
P324E – MG ECU power relay intermittent circuit
P3004 – Power Cable Malfunction
P0A1A – Generator Control Module
If you’ve paid to have your inverter replaced already (out of warranty), Toyota will reimburse you provided you have the appropriate documentation.

·
Ken
'09 TCH
410 Posts
HV Battery in California is 10yr/150k
MG1/MG2 is 15yr/150k
Inverter/IPM is 10yr/150k
Coolant Control Valve (sets DTC P1121) is 15yr/150k
I have a '16 Avalon XLE Premium Hybrid bought in San Bernardino CA on June 2016. I bought assuming I would get the 10 year 150,000 battery warranty but then found in the owners manual it is covered for 8 year 100,000 for the hybrid components including the battery.
Can you check yours and see what you got?
Edit - I forgot we were talking about Prius here but anyway please check your owners manual and see what is there for your Avalon? Just curious.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts