Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my 85 Camry LE is about to die in the next year or so. I was wondering what engine would be a good choice to swap in, that would be California legal. I've seen lots of people swapping in 3S-GTE's for more power, which sounds good to me. My only concern is if I will be able to legally smog and register it. I've heard people say it won't pass smog if I get a 3rd generation 3S-GTE (is this true?); so I was wondering if it would with a 1st or 2nd generation.

Thanks

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
any other camry engine later than your year is smog legal.. since smog laws get more stricter... i don't really know what else fits into the first gen camry it has a 2sfe i believe.

·
Where's my boomstick?
2,528 Posts
^2SE there bro

and nothing swaps in its place easily. better off just leaving it alone.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What exactly are the California regulations anyway? I know the engine has to be the same year or newer and you have to have all of the original emissions controls installed; that's all I know though. If I were to swap a Honda engine or some other brand into my Camry would I be able to smog and register it?

·
Zoom-Zoom
2008 Mazdaspeed 3/2012 Ford Escape
7,129 Posts
No..

it has to have been offered in the same model, and same year or newer..

so........

3s-fe(87?-91)
2vz-fe (89-91?)
5s-fe (92-2001)
3vz-fe (92/93)
1mz-fe (94-2005)
3mz-fe(2004/2005)
2az-fe (2002-present)
2gr-fe (2006-present)....

·
Pochacco Owns Me
3,123 Posts
it doesn't have to be out of a camry... it just has to be a newer engine.. he can shove in a LS1 if he wants provided it's made after 85... the DMV say same car to make it simple

1 - 6 of 6 Posts