Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Corolla
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. When changing out my front brake pads and rotors on my 2005 corolla, I noticed that the caliper slide pins looked a little bit different from each other. One had a gold color while one had a dark green color. I took both out at the same time to clean the slide pin holes and forgot which came from which, so I put them back in a random order. Will this cause problems later? I looked up the parts online and saw that the part numbers for both pins were different (47715-02200 and 47715-02210). Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
08 Toyota Camry 2AZ-FE R9K Tuned
7,832 Posts
One might be longer than the other, if it isn't you should be fine with putting them in either hole.

·
Super Moderator
2006 Corolla XRS
8,179 Posts
For the future, remove and clean one at a time.

When you reassembled the caliper and installed it, did it feel loose?

Pads are snug against the rotor?

Did the anti rattle clips fit properly?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Check out the DIY for front brakes - DIY 2003-2008 Corolla, Matrix, Pontiac Vibe Front Brake Job with PICS!! .

You can see that the two caliper pins are different looking at step 8. One has notches and the other one doesnt.

At step 14, you can see that the pin with the notches is at the bottom.

If you are still on OEM caliper and pins, than you can follow this. Not sure if interchanging them causes any problems.

·
Various Toyotas
4,914 Posts
In that DIY, if you look at the photo before the slide pins were removed (see below) you'll see that the pin with the notches was at the top, not the bottom (blue arrow pointing to notches). When he reinstalled them, the notched slide pin was installed at the bottom. I can't remember if the OE pins have a notch for one and no notch for the other. There must be a reason for the notch, but I don't know what it is and it might not make any difference. Some aftermarket slide pins are identical and are prescribed for either top (sub) position, or bottom (main) position.

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Corolla
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In that DIY, if you look at the photo before the slide pins were removed (see below) you'll see that the pin with the notches was at the top, not the bottom (blue arrow pointing to notches). When he reinstalled them, the notched slide pin was installed at the bottom. I can't remember if the OE pins have a notch for one and no notch for the other. There must be a reason for the notch, but I don't know what it is and it might not make any difference. Some aftermarket slide pins are identical and are prescribed for either top (sub) position, or bottom (main) position.

View attachment 295972
So I should have put the pin with the notch at the top?

·
Registered
2005 Toyota Corolla
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Nice Catch John. I guess the only way to find out is to order one OEM pin from dealer.
I did notice that the pins (I believe I have OEM pins) have different colors. One is gold/brass while one is dark green. I looked up some brake job videos on youtube and in this particular one, the gold one was at the top and the dark green one was at the bottom. Not sure if this is the right order. He starts taking out the slide pins at 5:58.

2005 Corolla Brake Job

·
Various Toyotas
4,914 Posts
So I should have put the pin with the notch at the top?
If it's working fine, then I would leave it alone unless you're just dying for it to be completely by the book, which I can understand.

Nice Catch John. I guess the only way to find out is to order one OEM pin from dealer.
Right?! I don't have my Corolla for a while now because my daughter has it (she lives 5 hours from me) otherwise I would go look. I have the original caliper and slide pins even at 387K miles.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Right?! I don't have my Corolla for a while now because my daughter has it (she lives 5 hours from me) otherwise I would go look. I have the original caliper and slide pins even at 387K miles.
But can you assure us that every single you took the pins off, you put them back in the same place and did not end up switching them. Hardtop also ended up switching them even though he claims that he put them back in the same place. Not trying to beat any body please. 😊 😊

·
Various Toyotas
4,914 Posts
But can you assure us that every single you took the pins off, you put them back in the same place and did not end up switching them. Hardtop also ended up switching them even though he claims that he put them back in the same place. Not trying to beat any body please. 😊 😊
Ah, good point. Can't be 100% sure, but I'm pretty sure I would have put them back in the same location. Won't have access to my car for a couple of months anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts