Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm about to replace my valve cover gasket and have a few questions:

a) what's the torque that I should use? I'm getting a torque wrench so might as well make use of it. i hear if i don't use it, it's possible i squeeze the gasket and can contribute to leaks.

b) is it necessary to use gasket seals such as high temp RTV? And why? I searched and people say use it...but I'm curous why.. If I have to use it, why can't i use use the tube of RTV and not buy the gasket in the first place?

I've googled a bit and found this:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Replacing-your-car_s-Valve-Cover-Gasket/

extra questions:
1) will using the preformed gasket last longer compared to making it yourself?
2) will i need to use the RTV silicon sealant if i were to use the preformed gasket? I've read here: http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2761703#post2761703

that i needed to also use the toyota sealant? Is this mandatory? I mean, isn't the gasket suppose to seal? Then I might as well create my own gasket from using the RTV tubes.. what do you guys think?

thanks,
Gordon

·
Registered
118 Posts
+1 for using the Toyota FIGP or whatever it's called. It's similar to Honda Bond. It works great.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've read a link that someone used the ultra black for the transmission pan w/o a gasket. Turns out the Ultra Black was so good that he had an issue taking out the pan, ended up deforming it. I called permatex (sp??) and they recommend not using the gasket because the gasket will give far more than the silicon. He said either a) go all silicon or b) use silicon on top and bottom of gasket.

in reading about the pan sticking so good to the transmission, I decided not to use only RTV silicon on my valve cover gasket. I can see I would have a hard time taking the cover off if I ever need to gain access to it again. Person also told me that new car assembly lines does not use rubber premade gasket, instead they use liquid silicon, similar to what they sell...

the other draw back of using silicon RTV is that you need to make sure you cover enough area, otherwise, if you miss some places, that's where the leak comes from.

Has anyone used only RTV and was still able to take out the valve cover gasket w/o any issue?

Thanks,
Gordon

·
Registered
118 Posts
Oh, I wasn't saying to just use the sealant. I was saying you could use it to supplement the gasket. However I haven't used any on mine and haven't had a problem with leaking.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts