Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well....Luc just got the 2002 Camry steering wheel, looks very very nice, however, problems.....TOTALLY NEW DESIGN on the air-bag...and hope to see anyone got any idea where should we start....take a look at the pics.

I think the ONLY problem we have is the back of the air-bag, NOT the way it used to be and we are trying to figure out how to get that work on either Gen 3, Gen 4 or even Solara....

Let us know...and thanks for Advance.

Howard (Rookie Solara)

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Rookie Solara on 2002-02-17 21:12 ]</font>

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
METHOD ONE - expensive
Go to your Toyota dealership and buy the "worm" from the steering column. This will give you the harness you need to hook up to those prongs in the airbag. I don't think you can actually swap the worm. So you'll have to cut those off the harnesses and splice them into the wires coming from your steering column. The worm should be at least $100USD.

METHOD TWO - ghetto
If you can find some connectors to hook up to those prongs in the airbag, then you can splice it to the wire coming out of the steering column.

METHOD THREE - even more ghetto
If you can't find connectors that are compatible with the prongs in the airbag, then you have to weld a connection on, and use regular electrical connectors to connect to the wires from the steering column.

However, figuring out which wire goes with which will be a challenge. Remember: DO NOT USE A VOLTMETER ON AN AIRBAG BECAUSE IT NEEDS VERY LITTLE CURRENT TO ACTUATE. If you made the wrong connection, it will not go off, but will set off your airbag malfunction light. Resetting should be simple. Also, when using the electrical connectors, remember to not let the wires come into contact.

Lastly, for methods two and three, when using wires that are not Toyota spec, remember how sensitive Toyota systems are to different resistance.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
For the horn and cruise harness, if the Gen5 one does not plug into your Gen4, it should be a simple splice job. No need to use electircal connectors here. Just splice and tape.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Jeff, thanks for the responses. I'll have to stop by my dealer and check up on this "worm." I had hoped to not splice anything, but it looks like I can't get away with it.

I believe the cruise connector should work. For the horn, it's just a negative trigger to sound it. I believe Gibson said that if it makes contact to ground, then it will sound.

Luc

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
On 2002-02-17 23:44, Luc wrote:

For the horn, it's just a negative trigger to sound it. I believe Gibson said that if it makes contact to ground, then it will sound.
Yes. That should be no problem.

If you would like to order the worm, here is more info on it. It is a spool of wire that provides the length needed for the turning of the wheel. Therefore, it is specific to the number of turns in steering column. If you wheel can turn 3 rotations either direction, and you get a worm that goes 2 each way, it will snap. Hence, there is a danger is swapping the worm. But if you do want to try it, the bottom of the worm is at the bottom of the steering column (you'll have to remove some trim to see this), with the same yellow and white male/female harness setup that goes into your airbag. If this harnesses is compatible with the Gen4 one, then you can attempt to swap the worm. Otherwise, there is no point, and you're back to Method One.

Good luck with everything.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts