Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a wierd problem. But first let me give the rundown:
I recently changed out my fuel filter about 8k miles or so. Then I changed out my O2 sensor about 1500 miles or so. Then my head gaskets blew and I was lucky enough to get the dealership to do the job for free (special technical service bulleting).
Anyways, since getting the truck back, my truck's gas mileage is shitty and sometimes in the mornings after I've been driving for a while (highway) the idle seems to be real high.

Question: Why is my gas mileage so crappy now and does the high idle have anything to do with it?

Also, my truck runs a lot warmer now than before (temperature gauge runs about midway now).

Thanks for all the help

·
Banned
2,353 Posts
well it sounds like a v6 and by bad , how much are you getting? have you tried plugs wires and all that stuff? compression test? im not a v6 guy and dont know much about it but on most fuel injected vehicles a temperature change means fuel mixture and possibly even a timing advance/retard change. are you sure your not leaking gas? do you get a check engine light? maybe a vacuum line issue? sounds like the dealer may have done something wrong since im assuming it didnt have bad mileage before. if it did and you dont know how to tune an engine or read a manual i would take it to a mechanic.

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
subliminaltrips said:
well it sounds like a v6 and by bad , how much are you getting? have you tried plugs wires and all that stuff? compression test? im not a v6 guy and dont know much about it but on most fuel injected vehicles a temperature change means fuel mixture and possibly even a timing advance/retard change. are you sure your not leaking gas? do you get a check engine light? maybe a vacuum line issue? sounds like the dealer may have done something wrong since im assuming it didnt have bad mileage before. if it did and you dont know how to tune an engine or read a manual i would take it to a mechanic.
Yes it a V6 automatic 3VZE engine 4X4. It has 126500 miles on it. Before the work was done on it I was getting about 18 miles per gallon. NOw it seems more like around 12. Now it has been a lot colder here lately....so you think temp changes can cause that? I looked for fuel leakage but didnt' see none. I think tomorrow I'll run it with the hood up to see if any fuel leaks anywhere...
Anybody else have any ideas??

·
YOTA Master
'93 2wd P/U
2,434 Posts
How does your truck run?

Are you also down on power?

Does it run rough at idle or under load?

How about starting? Extended cranking? Cold or hot?

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Vicoor said:
How does your truck run?

Are you also down on power?

Does it run rough at idle or under load?

How about starting? Extended cranking? Cold or hot?
It runs about the same. No noticeable difference on power.

I haven't pulled or carried anything in the bed of the truck in a long time so I dont' know how it performs under load. Idle seems to be okay but after i get to work which is 20 minutes away highway and I park, then the idle seems to be a little faster than normal. Although this doesn't happen all the time. Also, it's been very cold here....don't know if that has anything to do with it.

It starts about the same....a little longer on cold mornings.

Do i need to reset something on the truck because of the O2 sensor?

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts

The idle is an easy adjustment. However, you might still have several issues, and it's not easy to tie down with the available information. I'd go back to the dealer and explain what has happened and have them check that they put everything back the way it's supposed to be, since they screwed it up. Just don't let them start telling you that this & that has to be replaced. They tried to do that to me when I had a timing belt replaced. Good Luck.

·
94Toyota
1994 Toyota Pickup
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I might have a fuel leak. I'm going to check it out tomorrow cause it's late now but it looks like there is a blotch of some fluid under the truck near the ass end where the gas tank is. Is it common for the gas tank to leak in these model trucks?

·
Languishing in Virginia
1994 XtraCab 4x4 P/U
2,026 Posts
94Toyota said:
I might have a fuel leak. I'm going to check it out tomorrow cause it's late now but it looks like there is a blotch of some fluid under the truck near the ass end where the gas tank is. Is it common for the gas tank to leak in these model trucks?
NOT common to have a leak in the @$$ end. If you have a fuel leak, that WOULD account for the crappy gas mileage...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts