Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 88 supra turbo wich i just bought for $800. No surpize the head gasket was gone. I have taken the head off and found that one of the camshaft jornals (exaust #2)and the head and cap surfaces were scored. All the rest were in good shape for the 148,000 miles on them. I can get new cams I found a 2 places that makes custom grind cams out of yours but can not fix journals, Toyota wants $419.00 for each cam I will not pay that for stock profile. Even if i were to get new ones the head and cap is scored. Does anybody have this problem or know how to fix it. I have also found a new head for $530 but If i can fix mine i would like to. Do you think the new head would be best?

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
For the prices of these you can find them MUCH cheaper. You can get a whole motor shipped for $900, and on SupraForums.com I guarentee it wouldn't be hard to find stock Cams or a head. Only problem would be shipping on a Head. Warpage, damage, and weight would be a serious pain.

As for stock cams, I've even got a pair of stock cams laying around.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
jeeves thanks for the reply. I have found cams for $149.00 each and a whole head for $530 with valves and cams etc A complete head brand new no warpage cracks and no carbon. The cams i found were from topline but i do not know if they are stock profile. Does anybody know the answer to this?
The previous owner said the bottom end was rebuilt but i do not know if he was full of it. Today i looked at the cylinders and i could easily see the cross hatch now the moter has 148,000 on it so i think the cross hatch would have worn out. I am not familler with toyotas but i know that millage on most cars and the cylinders are shinny and there is minimal cross hatch. If anyone can enliten me on these well enginerd toyots please do so.

·
Got Hardass?
2,959 Posts
In my 120+mile 7M you could still see crosshatching..

1 - 4 of 4 Posts