Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me what motor this came off? I know it was an older Corolla, but cant remember the year.

thanks!

·
The TN Member
ae101 levin&trueno
1,273 Posts
Looks like a T series cam cover to me, came out in lots of cars. Early 80's ish

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
the 2TG cam covers i've seen has the oil cap on the right (close to the firewall) instead of the left (like pictured above). also has a "1600" stamped on the left side, the one pictured above doesn't have it. the closest i could think of is from an 18RG. but that too don't have the "DOHC" stamping. only the "TOYOTA". also 18RGs have the oil cap in the same location as the 2TG. unless this came from a race engine in the 70s or 80s.

where did you find it? nice catch coz i think it's rare!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grabed it from the junk yard. The car looked like it used to be raced, but like I said I didn't pay any attention to what year/motor it was. I figured I could figure it out w/ the cover. It unfortunatly didn't have any carbs or the intake, but it had an old beat up header. Unfortunatly the car is long gone so I cant go see it/grab any more parts off of it. This cover looked like it would clean up nice and look great on someone's car, so I grabbed it.

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
um, looks to be an 18rg maybe?

one quick search on google yielded...

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
after i talked with 'the man' i found it's not an 18rg cover. look at the bolt down pattern - they're different.

he's pretty sure it's a 2/3TG cam cover... even though the oil cap is on the wrong side and the lettering is different (which could just be a difference of TG generations/years) the bolt pattern seems to be the same....

(haha, not sure how that works, but if you go to google image & type '2tg' an interesting picture pops up)

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
a little correction.. there's no NA 3TG from the factory. 1.8L or 2.0L 2TG is basically a stroked 2TG using the 3T(1.8L block and stroking it to 2.0L). there is a 3T-GTE however. (1.8L, twin sparks, turbocharged)

i've looked at some of the documentations i've collected through the years and found out, like Thomas said, that it is from a 2TG. but there's a couple of differences between the valve covers.

2T-G (carb equipped) = oil cap on the right close to the firewall, "1600" stamping on the left and "TOYOTA" to the right.

2T-GE (EFI) = oil cap to the left close to the firewall, "TOYOTA DOHC" stamping on the right.

CONCLUSION: the valve cover above is from an EFI 2TG (very rare actually)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
i said 2/3tg because the guy i was talking to has a 2t/3t hybrid (which is getting prepped for efi & MS)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool, thanks guys for the help! I don't really need it, anyone on here interested? If not I will just throw it up on ebay.

·
The Return of the Red Coupe
2010 RAV4 V6
19,665 Posts
looks like either an 18RGEU cover.. probably even a later R series motor.

It also looks like a 2TGEU cover.. maybe its a cover on the GEU or EFI models :confused:

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
REN69 said:
looks like either an 18RGEU cover.. probably even a later R series motor.

It also looks like a 2TGEU cover.. maybe its a cover on the GEU or EFI models :confused:

we already figured it out above... it isn't an 18rg cover

1 - 13 of 13 Posts