Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took my car to a Toyota dealership to get a diagnostics done, because she has been running poorly, especially at speeds lower than 40 mph. They came back with a bad downstream O2 sensor and a bad cam gear. After researching what a cam gear is, I can see where my timing being off would be the problem. My question is, if $1500 is a good price for replacing the cam gear. I had the O2 sensor replaced and I feel I paid too much for that, too, since my car runs worse since it was replaced. My other question is how much more are they going to try to rip me off. I ask this, because (1) I'm a woman and (2) I'm an elderly woman in my 60's and I'm afraid they will try to take advantage of me. I'm not sure the quote they gave me included a new timing chain. It's was just a flat price. I do know to ask just what's covered for that price, before repair is done, but I'm more worried about what they will come up with once the work is started and I want to be prepared. Thank you for your time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
1995 T100 2WD & 1993 MR2
15,397 Posts
From what I can see on the net if they were to replace the one cam gear, chain, chain tensioners and water pump the parts should be less than $400. At $100 an hour they want 11 hrs labor.
Of course there is fresh coolant, some gaskets and an oil change but I was on the high side of parts not knowing where you are. I'd recommend you take it to an independent shop for a second opinion and quote. If you let the others here know where you are maybe someone has a shop they can recommend close to you if you don't have one. The price they quoted seems on the high side but not knowing all the specifics it's pure speculation. Regardless, dealer or an independent, I would recommend a second opinion/quote.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.