Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Buckeye Fan
'06 Tundra 4X4 SR5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After recently buying a 2003 Camry LE for my wife, the Oil light & the Engine light both came on. I took it to my mechanic who said that the scan test revealed: "Cam Position Sensor A - Valve Timing Retarded". He didn't seem to think it was a big deal & he didn't do anything about it. Does anyone know what this means, and if so, could you explain it in Leyman's terms?

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
4 cylinder? 6-cylinder? Do you have the actual trouble code that was pulled from the car?

·
Buckeye Fan
'06 Tundra 4X4 SR5
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I called the mechanic & he said that the code was a DTCP0012. He went on to say that they changed the oil & reset it. He thinks it may have something to do with the oil pressure? He also said that as long as the oil and/or engine light doesn't come back on, that it is nothing to worry about..................

·
ASE Master Technician
2006 Lexus GS430
2,397 Posts
DTC P0012 CAMSHAFT POSITION "A" -TIMING OVER-RETARDED (BANK 1)

CIRCUIT DESCRIPTION

DTC Detecting Condition

This is the procedure of OCV (Oil Control Valve).

VVT system controls the intake valve timing properly according to the driving condition.

ECM controls OCV (Oil Control Valve) to make the intake valve timing properly, and oil pressure controlled with OCV is supplied to the VVT controller. And then the VVT controller changes relative position between the camshaft and the crankshaft.

Wiring Diagram

INSPECTION PROCEDURE

HINT:

• If DTC P0011 or P0012 is displayed, check VVT system circuit.
  • Read freeze frame data using the hand-held tester or the OBD II scan tool, as freeze frame data records the engine conditions when a malfunction is detected. When troubleshooting, it is useful for determining whether the vehicle was running or stopped, the engine was warmed up or not, the air-fuel ratio was lean or rich, etc. at the time of the malfunction.
Step 1 - 3

Step 4 - 10

Step 10 (continued)

Hand-held tester:

Step 1 - 3

Step 3 (continued) - 9

Step 10

·
Registered
937 Posts
In laymans terms, you were either low on oil or had the wrong viscosity oil in there. If the lights dont come back on dont worry about it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I found a solution to my problem in a different model...

In the echo/yaris/xb/xa engine; 1NZ-FE , there's a service bulletin on that code DTC P0012 and as well as P0011 and P0016. 60month and 60,000mi warranty and they replace the camshaft timing gear assembly. There is a possibility that it may be the VVTi actuator. So best bet, give your dealer a call and see what's up

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just surfed on the internet and there was one bulletin also released at the same time for the tC which shares the same 2AZ-FE engine so you're in luck!

Technical Service Bulletin Titles for 2006 Scion tC L4-2.4L (2AZ-FE)
FEBRUARY 2007 Engine - MIL ON/DTC P0011/P0012 or P0016 Set
and don't worry about waiting until your CEL comes on again before you go to the dealer, your ECU will store these ones

1 - 10 of 10 Posts