Toyota Nation Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a Toyota fan and owner for over 15 years, but am new to this forum. Can anyone suggest a simple and inexpensive method for removing the retaining bolt for the cam sprockets on the 1MZ-FE engine? The problem is how to hold the sprocket from turning while removing the bolt. Snap-On sells a tool for this purpose, at about $60.00, but I would rather not spend that much for a tool I probably won't ever need again.

Thanx.

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
still the same thing....but not from snap-on...get one from your local automotive parts source...

I picked one up from canadian tire (in toronto) for 30bucks...and I've used it to do two timing belt changes...with another one or two more coming soon...makes life a lot easier...well worth the money

·
Registered
10 Posts
How to take off a cam sprocket bolt

OK, this how I just did it today: put a I belive it's a 22mm socket on a 1/2 breaker bar on the vibration damper bolt, get a 17mm socket on another 1/2 breaker with a long extension. I used a handle from my floor jack to get ALOT of leverage and start turning the cam bolt until the lower breaker bar contacts the frame and holds the motor tight. Now loosen the cam bolt with all the leverage from the long bar. It has a tremendous amount of torque on it. You can do this with no added expense of buying new tools. If you don't have 2 -1/2 breaker bars use a 3/8 ratchet with the 17 mm on top on the cam bolt it will hold up fine. Craftsman is the best. MADE IN U.S.A !!!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
OK, this how I just did it today: put a I belive it's a 22mm socket on a 1/2 breaker bar on the vibration damper bolt, get a 17mm socket on another 1/2 breaker with a long extension. I used a handle from my floor jack to get ALOT of leverage and start turning the cam bolt until the lower breaker bar contacts the frame and holds the motor tight. Now loosen the cam bolt with all the leverage from the long bar. It has a tremendous amount of torque on it. You can do this with no added expense of buying new tools. If you don't have 2 -1/2 breaker bars use a 3/8 ratchet with the 17 mm on top on the cam bolt it will hold up fine. Craftsman is the best. MADE IN U.S.A !!!!
This is if you still have the timing belt on tightened up with the tensioner in place.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts

·
TN Pussy Man
Camry
13,302 Posts
^ no way!?!? wow...how loose was your cam sprocket? I tried using a strap wrench on mine as well and it just kinda made the strap wrench start shedding rubber

I thought about using a chain wrench, but I was afraid of damaging the sprocket teeth, so I went in search for the actual cam sprocket holder

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.