Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I pulled the rear cylinder head off my 2000 Avalon 3.0L V-6 and had the valve stem seals replaced and the valves ground. Got the head back on, cams on, put the top all back together, (intake plenum, air box, throttle body, etc), and went to put on the timing belt.

I was following the instructions in the Haynes manual and it said very specifically that the flange on the rear cam sprocket is to be on the inside toward the engine, and the flange on the front cam sprocket is to be on the outside toward the passenger side front tire. Unfortunately, when I was putting them on, before I put on the valve covers, I was following the exploded illustration in the book, and it showed them the other way.

Now, I have to take all that stuff back off, remove the valve covers, and reverse the position of the cam sprockets.

Or do I? My question is, which way is correct, does it really matter, and is there a way to lock down the cams to get the bolts loose without taking off the valve covers?

I wait with bated breath for a reply from some of you more experienced Avalon mechanics out there.

Thanks,
-Ralphie

·
Registered
1996 Avalon
8 Posts
if youre just talking about the cam gears that the timing belt ride on then you dont need to pull the valve cover. just unbolt it and flip it around you'll have to have the front cover off to do so but that comes off really easy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're talking about the timing belt holding the rear cam sprocket while the wrench on the center bolt loosens it after having been torqued down to 59 lb-ft, nope, nope, nope, don't think so. Pretty sure that would tear up the belt.

Anyway, I went out last night and spent about an hour taking everything off and reversing the rear sprocket. I'll do the rest tomorrow.

Thanks, anyway.
Ralphie

1 - 4 of 4 Posts