Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got the creak/clunk/thump problem when going slow with slight turns that others with TRD springs have posted about. Anyway, since I was having the oil changed, I asked them to grease the springs like the people recommended in this forum.

Did they listen? Of course not. So far, Longo Toyota has had it for 3 days, going on 4. They've replaced the strut mounts, the strut body? (not sure I heard him right), the strut cartridges, and other things I forgot already. They said they have to FIX the problem for me.

Today they called and told me that they ran out of ideas and will be talking to Toyota. I said fine, whatever. They have me in a loaner so it's no big deal for me.

Good thing I had the springs installed by the dealership, no telling what these numbnuts might tell me. One of the service writers had the nerve to tell me I my wheels are bent and caused the problem. I wanted to smack that guy. :spanking:

·
Registered
676 Posts
One of the service writers had the nerve to tell me I my wheels are bent and caused the problem. I wanted to smack that guy. :spanking:
Like the guy who insisted that the seatbelt turn off provisioning was only for the 07-08 models and was a typo on the 09 model manual.

Funny thing... the guy who said that was the assistant service manager.

Anyway I was getting ready to buy some springs but after reading this idk anymore.

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
110% no lowering springs for me! :D

·
Registered
8,415 Posts
Besides I drive fast over bumps and potholes. I dont think it would do too nice with a lowered car.
You'll lose your ground effects in no time. ;)

·
Registered
2015 Subaru WRX STI
4,407 Posts
I remember having the same problem that I couldn't get the dealer to fix, they blamed it on the TRD springs and said they would need to replace them with the stocks. After that (and a few other issues) I decided to trade my car in for a truck, so glad I did. :)

At least you have a loaner so it's not all bad. Is the the Rav4 V6?

·
im hungry
362 Posts
I've got the creak/clunk/thump problem when going slow with slight turns that others with TRD springs have posted about. Anyway, since I was having the oil changed, I asked them to grease the springs like the people recommended in this forum.

Did they listen? Of course not. So far, Longo Toyota has had it for 3 days, going on 4. They've replaced the strut mounts, the strut body? (not sure I heard him right), the strut cartridges, and other things I forgot already. They said they have to FIX the problem for me.

Today they called and told me that they ran out of ideas and will be talking to Toyota. I said fine, whatever. They have me in a loaner so it's no big deal for me.

Good thing I had the springs installed by the dealership, no telling what these numbnuts might tell me. One of the service writers had the nerve to tell me I my wheels are bent and caused the problem. I wanted to smack that guy. :spanking:
I believe what you have is a set of bad STRUT BEARINGS. I have that right now. Sounds like popcorn when you turn right? When you take off the plate that holds the springs intact it also holds down a big BEARING. That bearing was probably installed incorrectly when installing the Springs.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I believe what you have is a set of bad STRUT BEARINGS. I have that right now. Sounds like popcorn when you turn right? When you take off the plate that holds the springs intact it also holds down a big BEARING. That bearing was probably installed incorrectly when installing the Springs.
Yeah, it makes the sounds worse when you turn the wheel while stopped. Wouldn't they have replaced the bearing when they replaced the strut mount or is that something different?

Let's see what they say when they call me again this afternoon. :eek:

geoff5093: It's probably a 4 cyl judging by the raspy sound coming out of the exhaust. Still, it feels kind of peppy though. Let me lift the hood and see what's under there.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmm, interesting. They were told by Toyota to order and install "spring insulators" that are used by Lexus cars. Let's see what happens.

Looks like I'll be getting the car back tomorrow so no off roading this weekend. :lol:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts