Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for the last few weeks, I have been working to replace my blown head gasket, I can finally declare triumph now: the car is back on road and accrued another 200+ miles on it, I felt it runs even smoother and the acceleration is more responsive, a result of re-adjusted valve clearance maybe?
Some of you may not have worked on head gasket before (it's the first time for me as well), so I figure I'd share some random thoughts here. Correct me if I am wrong;-)
First of all, what does a blown gasket look like? I am sure the blown can happen in millions of ways, but here it is what mine looks like:

The circled part enlarged:

There ought to have gasket material on the copper ring to seal the oil passage(?), but obviously, they are worn out.

The bigger ring that seals the cylinder, however, I can't spot visual damage.

When the head was taken out, the piston chambers were left with coolant, so there must still be leaking somewhere in the bigger ring above.

By the way, I have no ideas about the previous maintenance history, but this one does not look original at all;-)

Cheers!

Attachments

·
399,035+and going strong
705 Posts
Yes, that head gasket was leaking in that area. The combustion part of the gasket look to be intact. Good work.

·
Registered
480 Posts
"the piston chambers were left with coolant, so there must still be leaking somewhere in the bigger ring above. "

My guess would be just some residual coolant fell out of the head when you lifted it up and ran down into the cylinders.

I forgot the history of your problem. Where you experiencing an external oil leak at the back of the block?

Where you loosing a bit of coolant and/or seeing some bubbles in your coolant reserve tank? However, I don't see any traces extending from the combustion ring over into a coolant passage that would indicate such.

·
Registered
102 Posts
All heads I've ever pulled make a mess when removed no matter how long you drained them lol. Coolant in the cylinder bore after removal is completely normal.

·
Registered
102 Posts
And I dont see an obvious compression leak but it's strongly recommended to have the head machined and pressure checked by a machine shop as burned valves can cause compression loss as well. I'm not saying you had compression loss just describing scenarios.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts