Toyota Nation Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been having problems with my camry 1998.

1. When it idles, it goes off atleast 3 in 5 events
2. Whenni go on long journey, it jerks and and hard to accelerate smoothly
3. For 16Litres, (4gals) i hardly get 50Miles
4. When weather is hot it refuses to start until i wait for it to cool...but it cranks!

HELP

·
Registered
1995 Camry LE Wagon
4,738 Posts
What engine does it have?

Check engine light?

With that many issues you'd be best to have it scanned by a professional. 1998 is OBDII so you'd have access to engine sensors where a graphing scanner would give clues to system performance problems.

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Could be the ECT sensor. Engine Coolant Temperature. The ECU monitors this and adjusts fueling accordingly; richer when cold, leaner when warmed up. There are two ways.

Use an OBD2 monitor to read coolant temperature. This is the best way, as this is exactly what the ECU reads. When warmed up, it should be about 190 degrees F (88 C).

Use a multimeter to check the sensor’s resistance with the engine hot and cold. It should be about 3,000 ohms cold, and 300 when warmed up. The location of the sensor depends on which engine you have, V6 or I4.

Reactions: reelmza

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Could be the ECT sensor. Engine Coolant Temperature. The ECU monitors this and adjusts fueling accordingly; richer when cold, leaner when warmed up. There are two ways.

Use an OBD2 monitor to read coolant temperature. This is the best way, as this is exactly what the ECU reads. When warmed up, it should be about 190 degrees F (88 C).

Use a multimeter to check the sensor’s resistance with the engine hot and cold. It should be about 3,000 ohms cold, and 300 when warmed up. The location of the sensor depends on which engine you have, V6 or I4.
Its a 4cylinder, so i went to a mechanic today and he said that theres a part on th fuel pump compartment that doesn't filter the easy its supposed to, so he removed it and washed it and return it back, i drove a few miles(about 25) in the hot summer sun but it didn't jerk.

and Update:

The rough idling is from the choke he said, but the car starts with no long cranking tho

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
This engine doesn’t have a choke. That was something that carburetors had. This engine is fuel injected, so there is no choke.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay but its something shaped like an air intake, if u close it the engine dies, i dont know the name

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What engine does it have?

Check engine light?

With that many issues you'd be best to have it scanned by a professional. 1998 is OBDII so you'd have access to engine sensors where a graphing scanner would give clues to system performance problems.
thanks, it has a check engine light!

ill buy the OBD2

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
Perhaps you mean the throttle body? They get dirty and need cleaning. There is also something called an IACV, Idle Air Control Valve mounted on the throttle body that is responsible for maintaining idle RPM. It gets dirty also, and needs to be cleaned. It’s best to remove them both for a thorough cleaning. It’s impossible to give them a good cleaning without removing them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Perhaps you mean the throttle body? They get dirty and need cleaning. There is also something called an IACV, Idle Air Control Valve mounted on the throttle body that is responsible for maintaining idle RPM. It gets dirty also, and needs to be cleaned. It’s best to remove them both for a thorough cleaning. It’s impossible to give them a good cleaning without removing them.
wow u saying exactly what he said, he said we gats to clean the throttle body, cus it idles roughly and when u disconnect the IACV the car doesn't go off

·
Registered
2004 Toyota Camry, 2017 Toyota Camry, and many many more lol
238 Posts
Usually if it doesn’t want to start when warm usually it’s a fuel pump issue or something with the fuel system

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I get bad milleage anyways,

I put 16Litres(4gals), i hardly get 60Miles on it, and default mileage should be arround 100Miles based on my google search

I know the car isnt new and over time this values reduces but i should have gotten atlesst 70-80

·
Super Moderator
13,732 Posts
That’s why I recommended checking the ECT. If it is an open circuit (infinite resistance), the ECU will think the engine is always cold as ice, and run the fueling very rich all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That’s why I recommended checking the ECT. If it is an open circuit (infinite resistance), the ECU will think the engine is always cold as ice, and run the fueling very rich all the time.
thanks fam, ill make him diagnose that .
ASAP

·
Registered
19 Posts
In the future, you can do some basic checks yourself. Air filter is important. If that is blocked by things like dust, you can get bad economy. You can open it easily and clean, it's the black box near the battery. After that, you can slowly learn and clean each part.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts